W202 won't start after being abandoned for a long time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kostasfxr

Car
C 180 W 2020
Hello everyone,

As I am new in the forum, I greet everyone and I apologise in advance if the topic has been already discussed (I had a quick look but didn't find any post related).

I would like to ask for your opinion on the following:

My father has a C 180 W202 which was abandoned in the garage for a long time (maybe 5+ years). We have recently decided to put it back on the streets, so I took some time to try to start the engine after this long time. I am not sure if there was any gasoline left in the tank but I have anyway put around 4-5 litres. Since the battery was completely flat, I used cables to provide power from another car (while its engine was running). I have left the w202 old battery connected too. So, when tried the ignition, it seems that the starter was running well (and fast). However, the car wouldn't start. I tried 5-6 long times but nothing. At some point, the car tried to ignite for once (I am sure there was at least a single or couple ignition sounds). As i didn't want to push the starter further I gave up. Many would suggest that the fuel pump is dead after so much time (especially without fuel in the tank -I am not sure if there was any-) but I couldn't explain the 2 ignition sounds. These happened in the middle of the way (in case the idea is that some fuel remained close to the injection from the past).

I would thus appreciate if you could give me any hints on where I should start exploring from. Maybe it still needs a new battery? Maybe there's a way to check if fuel is running in the engine? I consider myself familiar with cars but have never dealt with a Mercedes Benz one (I know it was my father's but never happened that I put my hands on that :)).

Thanks a lot in advance for your time and help.

K.

Hi
To start with I would turn the ignition on and listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump switch on for approx 20 seconds then go off this is the priming sequence. If you dont hear this when ignition switched on I would start there first as no fuel pump no fuel delivery

Check the ends of the ignition leads for spark.

Basics to start with after long lay up:
remove plugs
turn engine over manually
drain engine oil
remove oil filter
refill with oil =
renew fuel+air filters
fit fully charged battery
as of neilrr check for spark if yes ,check for fuel if yes, put them together.

Hi
To start with I would turn the ignition on and listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump switch on for approx 20 seconds then go off this is the priming sequence. If you dont hear this when ignition switched on I would start there first as no fuel pump no fuel delivery
Thank you! I was fool enough not to pay attention to the pump soound. I will do so :)

Basics to start with after long lay up:
remove plugs
turn engine over manually
drain engine oil
remove oil filter
refill with oil =
renew fuel+air filters
fit fully charged battery
as of neilrr check for spark if yes ,check for fuel if yes, put them together.
Thank you @martyz ! I will for sure run a general maintenance service but after having the car started. In fact it is parked at the corner of a closed garage and not very convenient to work with before it starts. Thanks again!

A new battery will make no difference if the starter motor was turning.
If you do not hear the fuel pump priming when you switch on the ignition then check the pump relay and it's connections. If I remember correctly the relay is in the boot (trunk) on the 202 - and it is sometimes problematic.

Get a can of carb cleaner and squirt it down the air intake whilst spinning the engine....if it fires, you have a fuel issue.

5 years on may well be a case of stale fuel.
Drain fuel tank and fill with fresh petrol..... And do what guys suggested about ignition .

Kalispera sou , euxomai na ftiakseis to amaksi sou.
10 xrwnia twra pou efiga ap tin ellada

Get a can of carb cleaner and squirt it down the air intake whilst spinning the engine....if it fires, you have a fuel issue.

This is what I would be doing also, using anything flammable and aerosol - WD40 etc. You have 5 year old, stale fuel in the fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel rail, and injectors. You added some fresh to the tank, but that is still a mix of stale and new.

Hopefully, a little aerosol help will get it firing, which will be enough to keep it running (poorly at first), to get the stale fuel through and start working on the fresh stuff.

Martin.

A new battery will make no difference if the starter motor was turning.
If you do not hear the fuel pump priming when you switch on the ignition then check the pump relay and it's connections. If I remember correctly the relay is in the boot (trunk) on the 202 - and it is sometimes problematic.
thanks @Smiley I will do the pump check forst thing. The starter was turning pretty lively. Even better compared to the times the car was on the streets. Thanks for the hint on the relay. I will make a list on what to check based on your comments and go back prepared :) I also live abroad and the next try will be in about a month!

Thanks @vijilants Interesting idea. I didn't know that the carb cleaner alone can cause firing. Noted!

5 years on may well be a case of stale fuel.
Drain fuel tank and fill with fresh petrol..... And do what guys suggested about ignition .

Kalispera sou , euxomai na ftiakseis to amaksi sou.
10 xrwnia twra pou efiga ap tin ellada
Efxaristw poly @amazighman I will try to drain the fuel tank (if easy as the location of trhe car is not very convenient [squeezed at the corner of the garage]. I will keep you informed.

Xairetismous apo Velgio :)

This is what I would be doing also, using anything flammable and aerosol - WD40 etc. You have 5 year old, stale fuel in the fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel rail, and injectors. You added some fresh to the tank, but that is still a mix of stale and new.

Hopefully, a little aerosol help will get it firing, which will be enough to keep it running (poorly at first), to get the stale fuel through and start working on the fresh stuff.

Martin.
Thanks Martin @MJJ Well said. Always nice to get advice from experienced people. I will keep you updated on what the results were :)

Hello everyone. Sorry for the late reply but covid-19 story has disrupted my plan a bit. I just managed to try to get the car started but it seems it is the fuel pump as I couldn't hear and "warm up" noise when turned the key (battery was charging and connected to another running car with cables). I will try to take it out and knock it a bit before I buy another one. I'll keep you posted. Have a nice Christmas break

If the pump is not running it may be a faulty relay (in the boot) rather than the pump itself. The relay is easier to get to than the pump.

If the pump is not running it may be a faulty relay (in the boot) rather than the pump itself. The relay is easier to get to than the pump.
Thank you @Smiley it was a dead fuel pump. I just bought a new one and tested it and it runs while the old wasn't working. Here you go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom