W202 - Worst MB car ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
W202 worst ever???? Nope that'll be the R230!!!

Two biggest myths to grace the used car market:

Low Mileage
Short journeys and/or sporadic use are far worse than a car which has wear from being used every day for long journeys. Correct Fuels and Oils have additives that are designed to almost 'maintain' and/or treat the passages they pass through as much as their primary function. A car that does 50 miles a month will no doubt suffer from perished rubber more than one that does 5k a month. An engine that never gets warm from short infrequent journeys will never have the oil circulated and filtered as intended. The only good thing about low mileage is, for the most part, the aesthetics.

Full Dealer Service History
Besides the oil and filters, full dealer service history means naff all. I see plenty pass through my place of work, most of them flat refuse to have wiper blades (for the same cost as halfords), brakes until they are metal on metal, tyres until the canvas is showing, or essential other engine parts advised to them - they'd rather push it to the limit or bodge it themselves. Or have the engine light reset as it fixes it for a couple of weeks at a time. They all get a stamp in the book, but are actually poorly maintained as the dealer can only control the items on the service itself.

I had W202 '98 C180 Esprit, I can't remember the mileage but it had been around a bit, and been in the wars. It suffered MAF issues, but was fine once that was replaced. Oh, and the infamous heater motor failure. Other than that, it always felt like a quality car and went like a train. The (at the time) gf's dad had a W203 and it was much more of a solid car than that.

I liked my C200 so much I bought another one.

Now is perhaps not the time to mention rust, leaky head gaskets and the cost of replacing the lower arms.

I'm on my second S202 250td, luv em !

First one, 200k never had a problem, none of the 202 damp carpet,
wiper stuck, drain back horrors, just looked like it had stood in a foot
of sea water with rust on the bottom of every panel.

Dun, dun dun Get a tidy one !

Second one, 100k lovely condition, damp carpet, mental wiper,
5 hour drain back, alarm alarming, ect, etc.

Still luv em and we're working our way through it.

The medication helps :wallbash:

I had a c240 for 10 years it had 75k when I bought it and 125k when I sold it, was a great car replaced maf drag link shocks steering damper and waterpump just before I sold it, never let me down and although it had some surface rust on doors and wheel arches it was still solid, it was a 1998 model

W202's are everywhere near me, you can't move for them. I can't think of another car of the age which is still so common.

I was given a 1998 C240 a couple of months ago , by a mate that had owned it for 10 years ( he was the second owner). Around 138k on the clock and drives like a dream . Admittedly , during his ownership he replaced both front wings , boot lid and a couple of door skins , but the body is now immaculate,and the interior (elegance) is almost like new , with no wear on the seats/trim. It has been maintained regardless of cost, but he had no mechanical issues just routine servicing and regular valeting. The engine is rattle free, transmission changes smoothly up /down , best value for money I ever had!;).

I was given a 1998 C240 a couple of months ago , by a mate that had owned it for 10 years ( he was the second owner). Around 138k on the clock and drives like a dream . Admittedly , during his ownership he replaced both front wings , boot lid and a couple of door skins , but the body is now immaculate,and the interior (elegance) is almost like new , with no wear on the seats/trim. It has been maintained regardless of cost, but he had no mechanical issues just routine servicing and regular valeting. The engine is rattle free, transmission changes smoothly up /down , best value for money I ever had!;).

Excellent engine that C240, six pots if I remember rightly.

Had a C180 202 (underpowered with more than two up) and have had two C250s thus far, would have another C250 any day if push came to shove.

This is what I put in my thread recently "cheap reliable diesel"

"Well I thought I should update this thread. I bought an S202 C250td with 124K in Feb. Since then it's done 17k with no real issues (v. occasionally turning the key does not work-but always starts on the next turn of the key - EIS Issue beckons I guess)

It helps that the previous owner had significant engine work (read paid someone to replace every air and fuel line) done on the car and since I've had it I have replaced front lower arms and upper arms (despite Olly telling me he's never replaced a set), ARB's, steering damper, drag links, new rear lower arms and outer bushes, fitted an H & R touring kit (shocks and springs) and a new outside temp sensor (when is it ever -38 in the UK!). The car now rides great over humps and swales however the new set up is a bit crashy over severe bumps and I may replace the rear springs.

The car returns 40mpg and I rather like it. I must be honest and say it does not engender the love of a 124 however I do respect it. The car is a bit noisy (could it be the Michelin Winter tyres I am running by any chance) however I plan to fit some sound deadening to improve that.

So what's the point I'm making - I guess it's the fact a 17 year old car can be used as a reliable daily for business use however it does need maintaining."

All in it's working very well so I cannot say a 202 is the worst Merc ever.

This is what I put in my thread recently "cheap reliable diesel"

"Well I thought I should update this thread. I bought an S202 C250td with 124K in Feb. Since then it's done 17k with no real issues (v. occasionally turning the key does not work-but always starts on the next turn of the key - EIS Issue beckons I guess)

It helps that the previous owner had significant engine work (read paid someone to replace every air and fuel line) done on the car and since I've had it I have replaced front lower arms and upper arms (despite Olly telling me he's never replaced a set), ARB's, steering damper, drag links, new rear lower arms and outer bushes, fitted an H & R touring kit (shocks and springs) and a new outside temp sensor (when is it ever -38 in the UK!). The car now rides great over humps and swales however the new set up is a bit crashy over severe bumps and I may replace the rear springs.

The car returns 40mpg and I rather like it. I must be honest and say it does not engender the love of a 124 however I do respect it. The car is a bit noisy (could it be the Michelin Winter tyres I am running by any chance) however I plan to fit some sound deadening to improve that.

So what's the point I'm making - I guess it's the fact a 17 year old car can be used as a reliable daily for business use however it does need maintaining."

All in it's working very well so I cannot say a 202 is the worst Merc ever.

Hello would you please elaborate on your statement 'EIS issue beckons', because mine does that..... :(

Beers.

Hello would you please elaborate on your statement 'EIS issue beckons', because mine does that..... :(

Beers.

Search EIS on this forum or Google and you will find numerous threads about them. There's one in the Electronics section at the moment worth a read. I will be off to see the company mentioned therein shortly to see if they can find the culprit and look at the spare key that has never worked.

Matt

Search EIS on this forum or Google and you will find numerous threads about them. There's one in the Electronics section at the moment worth a read. I will be off to see the company mentioned therein shortly to see if they can find the culprit and look at the spare key that has never worked.

Matt

Ok thanks, Will do.

I like my W202, I bought it for £620 sight unseen, it needed a new front wiper mechanism I got from ebay for £10, and new heater controls, also from ebay for £13.

Grand total £643..

Most of the items in the OP allude to service items which basically have a 75k or 10 years whichever comes first service period.

Considering they are Bosch, I should imagine similar sensors on any other vehicle would have died long before his.

I assume the OP will be extra ****** off when it fails on all the fifty million bushes at the next MOT..

Beers, H.

Owned 2 W202's in the past...very reliable, my ex mrs even crashed the old 1995 C250D into the front of the house (not deliberate, in-cline hill drive, thought she was in reverse:doh:), I rushed home from work started it and reversed it out from the front room through the brick:thumb:, the only damage was front bumper scratches and a few broken/cracked fuel hoses...we used to call it 'The tank' after that:D

W202 Worst MB ever made!

I can agree with this statement. At least from my experience. In 2000 I bought a 2000 C280 Sport W202. It had only 50,000 Miles and was owned by a old lady who lived in the Hamptons outside of New York City and drove it around town only. I buy it drive it around and to the dealer to have it inspected by them and everything looks good. I get it home and first day the heater does not work. Get that fixed. Next day the due valve gets stuck and only blows on your feet. Fixed that. Then the fuel sending unit goes and throws me a check engine light. Then needs 4 new tires(Normal so that is not the cars fault). Had the headliner sagging, dash rattles from all over. Sunrvisor broke, center arm rest broke, door handle broke along with the glove box. Had rust issues starting to come up on the hood, fenders and trunk. Then had clonking suspension from all over along with squeeling breaks. Had a bad A/C Compressor and then the trim pieces popped off. I sold the car with only 85,000 miles because I just could not take it anymore. I then went out and got a 2005 C240 4Matic fully loaded. Never looked back one bit. Reliable engine and transmission. The guy who I sold it too has over 200,000 miles on it my shop told me. However, nothing works right on it. Solid powertrain but other then that it is total junk! Thought about giving one another try with a C43 but not worth it because it is not that great of a car either other then the powertrain.

My .02 cents.

.....In 2000 I bought a 2000 C280 Sport W202. It had only 50,000 Miles and was owned by a old lady who lived in the Hamptons outside of New York City and drove it around town only....

How did the old lady manage to rack up 50k miles in one year just by driving around town?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom