W202 - Worst MB car ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
W202 worst car ever made , lol
I can think of a few other cars ,which would support that title

I have owned two w202's and yes they can have their problems but in my opinion there are a lot worse Mercedes out there than the W202's.

The early A class for instance.

Hopefully I will be in the position to get another weekend/fun car and a W202 has to be in the running, OK it wont be a everyday model or a diesel but I will be looking at the C36 and C43 that's for sure as the W202 may have its issues but it is also becoming a modern classic MB in its own right.

Funnily enough the prefacelift has a lot less niggles than the post facelift (and less rust !)

Still, compared to other mb's there are no major engine worries (timing chains, balance shaft problems etc etc)

202 are also still very much alive in my part of the world :) Some are in very bad state of repair, but they are still on the road. You can clearly therefore infer that they are solid cars overall, if maintained :)
Agreeing with John Jones Jr regarding the problems OP has listed.

I also had water coming into passenger footwell in my "new" C230K. On checking, I found the water drain in front of the windscreen was full of mud, effectively forcing the water to find another exit --> blower fan --> passenger footwell.

Cleared it, and of course, no more water problems.

As much as i love the benz brand i cannot help but feel buyers of his w202 were ripped off. I bought a 1998 C200 with only 48k miles with full MB service history - a completely immaculate car. The car now has 63 miles on it but ill list all the stuff that has gone wrong with it
Jonathan

Is it the same one as in your post 4 years ago?

My 1999 w202 c230k is on 202k and still very much alive.
The cosmetic rust is shocking around the body panel edges, but the gearbox and c230k engine are still going strong. The best of the non AMG c class mercs by far. Some prefer the c280 refinement, but I go for the raw energy of the c230k.
Foot into carpet, click, kompressor spools up, engine roars, kickdown 2 gears, and let them eat dust. Overtaking on eastern European single carriageway roads was a doddle.

The 230k is a joy when it hits the kickdown / boost spot, all the more on mine as you can never be sure that its actually going to do it !!!! All adds to the fun :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom