W202 Xenon Adjustment for Euro trip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Making a few advance plans for the trip to Germany.

Euro Number plates (I'll be in touch Jimmy!), Green Card, AA cover, spare bulbs (do MB sell a kit?).

Anyway I have read that you cannot use conventional external masks on Xenon lamps.

Other threads have covered other models, but is there an adjustment lever or something on the W202 Xeonon lamps to mask the beam for driving abroad?

I know it does not convert it properly (ie not aimed to RH kerb) but I think it's a bit dodgey not to do something and in November we may need lights.

do you know how much a xenon bulb is? ;) :crazy:

I have a headlight glass for right side traffic!

The w202 xenons are the same for right side and left side traffic, the only thing that differs is the glass lens! (the pattern on the lens)

why wont the masks work?

Originally posted by Koolvin
do you know how much a xenon bulb is? ;) :crazy:

Didn't think of that! Maybe I'll take spares for the others, excluding the Xenons!

why wont the masks work?

Just something I read on the AA website.

I shall check with the dealer and Halfords Tuesday right after I have confirmed my Insurance company will cover me abroad.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
...I have read that you cannot use conventional external masks on Xenon lamps.
Of course you can, I think you will struggle to use conventional masks on projector type lights though (with untextured glass lenses), which most HID systems use these days.

Or you could just aim them a little lower like I did while driving abroad.

As Koolvin suggested, spare xenon capsules are about £100 each, and if you change one you are obliged to change both because of the colour/brightness of the bulbs (must match!). Plus technically if you change a xenon capsule you're supposed to wear surgical gloves, a face mask and goggles or something (check your manual :) ).

You should get a spare bulb kit anyway, Halfrauds sell one but I don't recommend it, the bulbs don't fit properly and one of my taillight bulbs still rattles a bit in the holder and makes one of my reversing lights intermittent. Try the MB kit, although it's basically a bunch of standard bulbs with an MB pricetag. Look in your manual and buy one of each bulb, there are only about 5 different bulbs in your car. You might want to get a selection of spare fuses too.

You should get a spare bulb kit anyway, Halfrauds sell one but I don't recommend it, the bulbs don't fit properly and one of my taillight bulbs still rattles a bit in the holder and makes one of my reversing lights intermittent. Try the MB kit, although it's basically a bunch of standard bulbs with an MB pricetag. Look in your manual and buy one of each bulb, there are only about 5 different bulbs in your car. You might want to get a selection of spare fuses too. [/B]

MB sell one for the same price as hellfords :)

Ill lost the part number later :bannana:

I'll get a MB kit then hopefully.

I'll see if they sell headlamp masks, if not it's a Halfords job.

Lowering the beam is NOT an option remember Shude!

Bet I forget and use my washers and take the headlamp masks out in one sweep anyway!

graham

you coming to the nl to??
when you came?
there is a gtg 13 sept im hann munden germany

Greetingz,

Mike

Lowering the beam is NOT an option remember Shude!
Well technically you could twist the little adjustment knobs on the back to lower the beam, of course with "normal headlights" you can do this from the comfort of your driving seat without having to get your hands grubby or anything ;)

Originally posted by Shude
of course with "normal headlights" you can do this from the comfort of your driving seat without having to get your hands grubby or anything ;)

Stop Shude you're making me jealous..................er maybe not.

Hahahah my Xenons are adjustable from the comfort of *MY*seat!

Hahahah my Xenons are adjustable from the comfort of *MY*seat!

And I can change to LH drive running at the flick of a switch.:D :D

MB Spare bulb kit £13.83 + vat

Headlight masks £5.96 + vat

....however there is one set for a W202 and one which says for Xenon lights, but does not say what models - so I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
MB Spare bulb kit £13.83 + vat

Headlight masks £5.96 + vat

Beam Deflectors P/N: MQ6 37 34525

Spare Bulb Set P/N: MB6 6 81 0012

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom