W202 Xenons - ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

altreed

Car
c36 AMG, z3 2.8, BMW 330D Touring.... Bike: Yamaha T/cat 600, Z1r {gxsr1100 mota}, CR500 Aii
I have a '97 c-Klasse and would like to improve the lighting. I read on a posting that a member was going to fit Xenons to their W202 (can't remember which forum/website I saw it.

Has anyone fitted decent lights to their W202? Do you have pictures.

I have OEM Xenons from the factory and Koolvin is retro fitting OEM Xenons soon.

Do they look the same, or are they like IS200 style?

I fancy 'updating' the style of the lights as well is there are any nice looking ones out there?

I fancy having IS200 style rear lights aswell. Know you of such an item?

Cheers

I thought Shude was going to fit Xenons too?

Altreed, the W202 Xenons outwardly look almost identical to the Halogen headlight units, i.e. they don't use projector prisms or clear lenses with high mirrored reflectors. Obivously the reflector geometry for xenon bulbs is totally different from the halogen bulbs. The only slight difference between the two housings is...

On Halogen units, the border between main beam and dipped beam is a straight vertical division, where as,
on Xenon units, the division is curved, convex into the main beam area... if that makes sense.

To go for the proper xenon conversion... i.e. change housings, not just bulbs costs in the region of £1k, I think Shude has done alot of investigative work in this respect.

As for Lexus IS200 style rear lights for a W202... Umm I personally haven't seen any but then I've never looked :p :p The closest in terms of look is probably the clear rear lenses that Grav888 has fitted to his W202.

GRAV888 Gallery

*EDIT* Might be worth doing a search on xenon or HID as this has been discussed at great length in the past.

S.

Last edited:
They look the same UNTIL you switch them on!

Not into the Lexus style lights myself, never seen any either.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
They look the same UNTIL you switch them on!

Hehe, very true... I got to see MBenzNL's xenons at a GTG the light is almost a pure white when compared to ordinary halogens and the reach seems further too. Although it was broad daylight when Steve was kind enough to demo them.

S.

Hmm £1k is a lot of cash for the front lights. I might contact some breakers to see if there are any available from them.

When did they start fitting them, was it after 1997?

I think I did PM Grav, does anyone know where he got those or how much they cost?

Many Thanks

They were never standard I don't think - only ever an option.

*doh*

Hmm £1k is a lot of cash for the front lights.

How true. I was looking at PIAA's website earlier and stumbled across the HID bulbs at (get this) £907+VAT each bulb!

I retrofitted OEM Xenons into my 1993 C250D...a difference of day and night...

link to picture

greetingz,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom