W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercman786

Car
W204 C180k Sport
A good cruiser, the Mercedes C class is comfortable and classy
The rear middle seat is useless, so don't expect to take more than four.
Good, but steep repair bills; new catalytic converters are £600, failed wiper mechanism is £750, replacing failed glow plugs is £350.

A good, solid prestige car that you can have for super-mini money.

Comfort is a big plus point, with better head, shoulder and leg room than its contemporary rivals.
Electrical faults are not unknown, so make sure they all work before you buy.
Do not worry too much if you hear clonks when turning the steering wheel, its a sign of worn bushes in the anti-roll bars and steering joints, but these are cheap to fix.
The C180 and C200 both perform well, but I would have the C200.
None of the models are particularly well equipped, but the Elegance seems the best balance of kit and cost.

C180 -
Urban - 22.2 mpg
Extra Urban - 39.2 mpg
Combined - 30.7 mpg
0-62 mph - 12 seconds
Top Speed - 120 mph
Cylinders - 4
Valves - 16v
Engine Power - 122 BHP

Insurance Group - 11E
Co2 Emissions - 218 g/km - 1 Year/£260.00 6 months/£143.00

C200 -
Urban - 21.4 mpg
Extra Urban - 38.7 mpg
Combined - 29.7 mpg
0-62 mph - 11.5 seconds
Top Speed - 124 mph
Cylinders - 4
Valves - 16v
Engine Power - 136 BHP

Insurance Group - 12
Co2 Emissions - 218 g/km - 1 Year/£260.00 6 months/£143.00

C220 -
Urban - 34.5 mpg
Extra Urban - 56.5 mpg
Combined - 46.3 mpg
0-62 mph - 10.5 seconds
Top Speed - 123 mph
Cylinders - 4
Valves - 16v
Engine Power - 125 BHP

Insurance Group - 161 g/km
Insurance Group - 12E - 1 Year/£165.00 6 months/£90.75

C230 -
Urban - 20.5 mpg
Extra Urban - 38.2 mpg
Combined - 28.8 mpg
0-62 mph - 8.4 seconds
Top Speed - 143 mph
Cylinders - 4
Valves - 16v
Engine Power - 193 BHP

Co2 Emissions - 233 g/km - 1 Year/£445.00 6 months/£244.75
Insurance Group - 15E

C240 -
Urban - 19.8 mpg
Extra Urban - 38.7 mpg
Combined - 28.5 mpg
0-62 mph - 9.9 seconds
Top Speed - 135 mph
Cylinders - 6
Valves - 18v
Engine Power - 170 BHP

Co2 Emissions - 238 g/km - 1 Year/£445.00 6 month/£244.75
Insurance Group - 13

C250 -
Urban - 25.2 mpg
Extra Urban - 46.3 mpg
Combined - 35.3 mpg
0-62 mph - 10.2 seconds
Top Speed - 126 mph
Cylinders - 5
Valves - 20v
Engine Power - 150 BHP

Insurance Group - 13E
Co2 Emissions - 212 g/km - 1 Year/£260.00 6 months/£143.00

C280 -
Urban - 19.5 mpg
Extra Urban - 39.2 mpg
Combined - 28.5 mpg
0-62 mph - 8.5 seconds
Top Speed - 144 mph
Cylinders - 6
Valves - 24v
Engine Power - 197 BHP

Insurance Group - 15
Co2 Emissions - 241 g/km - 1 Year/£445.00 6 months/£244.75

C36 AMG -
Urban - 20.8 mpg
Extra Urban - 33.2 mpg
Combined - 28 mpg
0-62 mph - 7 seconds
Top Speed - 155 mph
Cylinders - 6
Valves - 24v
Engine Power - 280 BHP

Insurance Group - 19
Tax - 1 Year/£460.00 6 months/£253.00

C43 AMG -
Urban - 11.7 mpg
Extra Urban - 16.5 mpg
Combined - 8.9 mpg
0-62 mph - 6.7 seconds
Top Speed - 156 mph
Cylinders - 8
Valves - 24v
Engine Power - 306 BHP

Insurance Group - 19
Co2 Emissions - 280 g/km - 1 Year/£460.00 6 months/£253.00

Go For - C200

Have I missed something here or is this an irrelevant post?

Sorry DSM10000, just an irrelevant post, I will be working my way through as many Merc models as I can, as too many people post questions about what to look for on these models and which one to go for, so I thought I might aswell do it, I am really bored lol

Why on earth is it an irrelevant post?

He's posting information about different Mercedes models and this is a Mercedes forum.

Uncalled for. I thought it was a useful guide to the model. If it's irrelevant to you, then don't read it. Good work MM786.

If I wanted an acerbic response I would have asked for one.

I asked a question for the simple reason that the post was just a collection of easily available facts with no introduction and no apparant basis for the post from someone who joined in April and who, until tonight had posted once.

I'd have to argue against your statement about none of them really being equipped that well. For a car of that age (Take my 1998 Elegance for example), it had electric everything (bar seats - however they were available), air con, cruise control, dual mode gear box, auto boot release, dual mode alarm, speed limiting, button to drop the head rests, automatic door locking, etc.

For a mid to low range model of car, and compared to most other marques of that period, the spec is really quite good. Go for an AMG and you'll find it's fantastic.

Other than say BMW, you wouldn't really find another car in that kind of price range and age that would come close.

C43 AMG -
Urban - 11.7 mpg
Extra Urban - 16.5 mpg
Combined - 8.9 mpg
0-62 mph - 6.7 seconds
Top Speed - 156 mph
Cylinders - 8
Valves - 24v
Engine Power - 306 BHP

Urban 11.7, Extra Urban 16.5, yet the Combined only gives 8.9?

Remarkably, the Autotrader website gives exactly the same bizarre figures :dk:

Urban 11.7, Extra Urban 16.5, yet the Combined only gives 8.9?

Remarkably, the Autotrader website gives exactly the same bizarre figures :dk:

True that?? Maybe they got Urban and Combined mixed up??

I'd have to argue against your statement about none of them really being equipped that well. For a car of that age (Take my 1998 Elegance for example), it had electric everything (bar seats - however they were available), air con, cruise control, dual mode gear box, auto boot release, dual mode alarm, speed limiting, button to drop the head rests, automatic door locking, etc.

For a mid to low range model of car, and compared to most other marques of that period, the spec is really quite good. Go for an AMG and you'll find it's fantastic.

Other than say BMW, you wouldn't really find another car in that kind of price range and age that would come close.

Hi MercFanUk, thanks for your input, I think it says in their that the best balance of kit and cost is the Elegance model,

someone who joined in April and who, until tonight had posted once.

I made this account in April yes, but have been without a computer for 2 months and for the past 3 months have been abroad importing Mercedes. Now I am back, operations are running smoothly and I find myself with a little more time :thumb:

pot-kettle-black.jpg

:p

I think there should be this type of post for each Mercedes, giving potential buyers useful information about the model they wish to purchase/research. Good post MercMan!

Nice original post, I have been meaning to research the 0-60 time of my C280 and now I know. Although I didn't pay £445 for my years tax, has it gone up? I hope not, last years was £220 ish

Thank You!

Nice original post, I have been meaning to research the 0-60 time of my C280 and now I know. Although I didn't pay £445 for my years tax, has it gone up? I hope not, last years was £220 ish

Thank You!

Thanks guys, I have just done one for the W203 earlier on today (the posts on that one are not as nice to read as you guys, I appreciate it guys, thanks!). As for the tax, I have just looked at the emissions each engine has been producing and matching it up with a list I have got from directgov.

I think all 202's should fall into the pre 2001 rate, which is a flat rate of £215 a year :) Means you can get a nice juicy engine and not suffer the higher tax bands.

I think all 202's should fall into the pre 2001 rate, which is a flat rate of £215 a year :) Means you can get a nice juicy engine and not suffer the higher tax bands.

Once again thanks for the input, hopefully anyone wanting to buy this model in the future, will now know what to expect and look out for.

I asked a question for the simple reason that the post was just a collection of easily available facts with no introduction and no apparant basis for the post from someone who joined in April and who, until tonight had posted once.

I had exactly the same thoughts.

Subsequent posts reveal that Mercman786 is a (relatively) new member contributing to the community straight away by sharing information which might be useful to others, rather than looking for information regarding a purchase/problem/etc which is more typically the case for new members.

Another useful source of this type of information:
Mercedes-Benz | Mercedes-Benz cars UK - Parkers

I had exactly the same thoughts.

Subsequent posts reveal that Mercman786 is a (relatively) new member contributing to the community straight away by sharing information which might be useful to others, rather than looking for information regarding a purchase/problem/etc which is more typically the case for new members.

Another useful source of this type of information:
Mercedes-Benz | Mercedes-Benz cars UK - Parkers

With all due respect, I dont feel I need to find information, I have bought and sold many Mercedes, I export them all the time, I joined in April, that is obvious. But I soon forgot that I had even joined (I am rather forgetful at times), I was on another Mercedes forum day in day out, that forum went down for 2 days, so I went in search of another forum, I tried registering on this one, but it turned out that I was already registered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom