w202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin henry

Car
vauxhall corsa
Hello all,i have seriously been thinking about aquiring a w202 c class,preferably a c230k or c240 but after hearing about the so called mercedes build quality, and more importantly the cost of some of the repairs,iam i bit worried that i might be making the wrong decision, its a shame i think the w202 is a really handsome looking car, has anyone got any positive to say about w202 ownership, it cant all be bad surely.

colin henry said:
Hello all,i have seriously been thinking about aquiring a w202 c class,preferably a c230k or c240 but after hearing about the so called mercedes build quality, and more importantly the cost of some of the repairs,iam i bit worried that i might be making the wrong decision, its a shame i think the w202 is a really handsome looking car, has anyone got any positive to say about w202 ownership, it cant all be bad surely.

I don't know what you've read obviously, but references to poor build quality do not apply to the w202 in my opinion.

There are various camps who have their own opinions about which model is the "last over-engineered MB model", but the w202 is a contender at least.

Repairs shouldn't be a problem. You have the choice between the dealerships or independant garages. There is nothing in particular about this era C-Class that should worry you that you wouln't have to worry about on any other modern car - MAS sensors failing for example.

There are plenty of W202 owners here and if you search, some previous threads on buying advice and some old magazine scans.

Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine will also have a buyers guide in the next issue I believe - out ~20th Aug.

The C240 is the more refined out of your two choices, with heavier servicing and fuel costs. The C230K, less refined maybe, but swifter and cheap to run.

People don’t tend to post on here when their cars are going well. When I got my car nearly 3 years ago and was new to "Forums" I was a bit worried to say the least about all the problems reported.
My cars been great, I know your looking for a larger engine but as far as build quality goes I can’t fault it really, there’s definitely no rust anywhere, just a bit of plastic trim snapped off above the number plate. I expect to own this car for 10 years or more.

Hello Colin,

You could do a lot worse than buy a W202 C Class.

They are well built, reliable, affordable, and there is a model for all tastes. From the rather "tame" C180 4-cyl (altough perfect for motorway cruising, and cheap to run) to the stonking 155-MPH Plus V8 C43 AMG!

Like all second hand cars, there are some that will have been well looked after, and cherished, and some right old dogs run through the ground! Well maintained, they are capable of good mileages. The model is now well over 10 years old, and they still have good appeal!

Parts on the whole are very reasonable (ie, a full set of genuine MB discs/pads front and rear, plus new bolts/clips/pins/pad wear sensors etc etc was about £200).

Like all cars, there are a few common complaints. Some of the later 90s ones suffered with rust issues on body panels (although not as badly as the W210 as I understand), and there are a few known weaknesses. Don't let any of this put you off buying one - just make sure you buy a good example that has been properly maintained, and have somebody look it over if you are unfamilier with buying second hand cars.

You can end up running a newish Mercedes for less than a lot of boring cars, and if you end up spending a shade more on servicing/fuel consumption or insurance, you should get this back when you come to move on with the better than average residuals now at this age!

Some people say always buy an auto, which could be because the manual is not the best gearbox around, but at the end of the day it is personal preferance. If you are unsure, try both :) .

Oh, and there are a few different types of trim/spec. Later facelift models (97>) get some more goodies etc, whilst they are all classified with some model varient (eg, Classic, Esprit, Elegance, Sport etc). Do a forum search if you unsure as to what you want!

And finally, good luck with whatever you choose. If you need any more advice, just ask as there will be somebody here who can answer any questions!

Cheers,

Will

Had both a C240 Sport and C280 Sport - both excellent cars, only very, very minor niggles with both (drove over 100k miles between them). Would highly recommend a W202, although as Graham said, MB servicing for the V6 can be a bit steep. If you want the power of the 230k, with the refinement of a V6, have a look for a C280 - I loved mine!

This is my first ever Mercedes and I certainly have no complaints about it.

I sold a 13 month old new shaped Vectra, which I never really enjoyed driving, for my almost 5 year old W202 and it was the best decision I've made in all my years of car ownership.

I personally haven't noticed any build quality problems worth mentioning and although I have some rust in the usual places (wheel arches, door pillars, side indicators) it's all due to be recitified shortly under MB 30 year warranty. I knew the car was 'rusty' before I bought it and wasn't put off at all as it had a good MB history & good receipts, it drove great and had a mint interior.

I have a local & trusted mechanic who assures me they are no more expensive to run & maintain than your modern Fords & Vauxhalls and that maintenance costs only spiral when you drive into a dealership. According to him they are basically bomb proof and providing you look after them they'll give years and years of enjoyable, reliable motoring.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending a W202 and I'm confident you wouldn't be disappointed if you chose to purchase one yourself.

also remember that if you stamp your foot on the accelerator and click a switch in the process, the car goes into warp drive ... once you find this, it's addictive. My C240 overtakes very quickly like this :)

C240Sport97 said:
also remember that if you stamp your foot on the accelerator and click a switch in the process, the car goes into warp drive ... once you find this, it's addictive. My C240 overtakes very quickly like this :)
Ahhh the good old kickdown :bannana: even on our "older" cars they work magic. :D :D

My 1998 C180 has been great and still looks like new until you look at the inside wheel arches, suspension turrets even in the spare wheel well and it has more rust than the wifes 10 year old Nissan Micra, I am still waiting to see what Mercedes are going to do about it, not impressed with dealer after care up to now, just a little disillusioned at the moment certainly did not expect a car of this calibre to rust like a 1970 Austin Allegro. Talking about "kickdown", mine has decided to stop kicking down two gears even when the button clicks.

Colin,

To give you a clear perspective about whay people are saying about rust.

SOME people are experieinceing rust on cars as new as 1998/1999. You don't expect this on 5 years old cars, especially Mercedes.

The fact is some examples do have a rust issue. I know not all do, because my 1999 car doesn't apart from a chip on the wheel arch sill inside of the rear door (know where I mean), probably caused by someone flinging the seat belt buckle out to vigorously.

So check for rust the same as you would any used car. It not rust free or proof because it's a Mercedes unfortunatly.

The most common area for rust is around the boot lock and the boot lid handle. Liek I said, try a search as there are previous threads on buying w202's that specify these tips.

Someone above mentioned bying a rusty w202 on the basis the "30 year warranty" would fix everything. They are very lucky. Unless your cars service history meets every requirement, this will not be honoured. In reality loop holes are found and it's more like a 4 year warranty. My advice is do not buy on the bassis of an body warranty - buy a rust free car.

1999 280 sport

I have had the car 5 months and it is superb. The kickdown with the 2.8 v6 is great, cost a bit in fuel using it too often but its a nice way to burn the cash. Fuel is around 26-30mpg for typical drving which for a car of this size and capacity is not to shabby. I plan doing most of the standard servicing (brakes, oils and fluids, filters, plugs etc) myself as its just a car and it can't be that difficult.

Build quality is not an issue in my car and I just love the thump when you shut the doors!!

Ewan

Sound advice from Graham.

*IF* you do find corrosion then there is a chance that MB will honour a repair, although you may have to jump through hoops etc to get it approved. I've had two major corrosion problems sorted on my 210 that perhaps other people would have shrugged their shoulders and got it fixed elsewhere. I nearly did - I had a local bodyshop lined up.

Other than that its Mercedes ownership for Mondeo money. Theres little to go wrong and its a great feeling to drive something so refined and well engineered.

You will not regret it.

ATB,
Greg

Some good replies there :D I'd just like to add that I am a happy C240 owner and still enjoy driving the car as much today as I did when I got the car over 2 years ago. Not that my motoring has been trouble free though, do a search for threads started by me and you'll find out about all the problems I've had in the past. Nothing too serious, faulty a/c controller repaired under warranty, holed a/c condensor, failed MAS unit, intermittant pedal value sensor fault, two bouts of warranty rust repair, one A service and one B service are some items worthy of note. One thing to bear in mind, dealership services are exbenzive.

S.

Remember a lot of us only use these forums to ask for help, so we only post when somethings wrong. Mine's had its problems (Nothing major, and MBClub has helped with good advice for the minor stuff) but I'm keeping it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom