W203 16" tyres all round

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

explorer121

Car
W204 C220 CDi estate Blue Efficiency
Hello,
have a C220cdi 2004 with staggered setup, 205/55/R16 front and 225/50/R16 rear.
Have access to standard set of W203 alloys in mint condition. After reading about offsets etc am now confused if they would be safe to fit or would they make any difference to handling etc.
Any help would be appreciated as my current staggered set up is close to the limit tyre wise.
Many thanks.

My S203 C270 2001 had 16" standard MB rims but same size tyres all round - 205/55 IIRC.

Hello,
have a C220cdi 2004 with staggered setup, 205/55/R16 front and 225/50/R16 rear.
Have access to standard set of W203 alloys in mint condition. After reading about offsets etc am now confused if they would be safe to fit or would they make any difference to handling etc.
Any help would be appreciated as my current staggered set up is close to the limit tyre wise.
Many thanks.

What size are the new wheels? It should be on the inside of the wheel.

Width will be in inches, so 7.5j means 7.5 inches; Offset will be in mm, so ET37 means 37mm

Not sure what the issue is here? Some cars had the staggered set-up and some had the same size all round.

On the facelift model it just depended on trim - Classic was same size, Avantgarde was staggered. Not sure about Elegance. All where 16". Sport option added 17" staggered wheels.

There is a sticky at the top of this sub-forum about wheel fitments. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/whee...read-first-offset-fitment-answers-within.html

Last edited:
205/55 x R16 were standard in the UK.

Like Rory said some models had 225/50 x R16 at the rear with wider rims.

Personally not a fan of staggered wheels because I like rotating them back-to-front every service.

That's my point really, also less expensive on tyres. All I really wanted to find out was what effect if any it would have reverting to 205/55/r16's all round.

That's my point really, also less expensive on tyres. All I really wanted to find out was what effect if any it would have reverting to 205/55/r16's all round.

Slightly improved fuel consumption?

Wider rear wheels on RWD cars are aimed at reducing wheelspin (which helps with quicker getaway) when accelerating hard.

More relevant on an AMG, but hardly significant on a C220CDI (no offence meant, mine is a lowly C180K...).

So mainly for aesthetics.

Said that... I would recommend that you always check the owners manual to see that the tyre sizes you intend to use are approved for your particular model (i.e. 2004 C220CDI and not just generically for W203).

This is to ensure that the variation that was factory-fitted to your car is indeed simply due to different trim levels (Classic / Avantgarde / Sport etc), and not due to the car's weight of power output etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom