W203 2005/55 ESP Inactive - Visit workshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasulghul

Car
2005 mercedes c220 cdi sport
Hi chaps, recently the ESP Inactive light has come on and i've had it plugged in and it's saying that it's the steering angle sensor. Now, I got alot of work done to the car replacing ball joints and a passenger track rod end - since then the light has appeared, the tracking was out slightly and i've had the tracking done and now it pulls straight but the ESP light still appears - i'm wondering when the ball joints and the track rod end was replaced if it could have knocked a wire or something which is causing that to appear.

Any input is welcome - i will get the exact code that comes up on the diagnostic machine and post here later.

Thanks

just to add, it's a c220 cdi sport and it's an auto.

Have you tried moving the steering from lock to lock 4 or 5 times? (Engine running)

This can sometimes cancel ESP warnings as it can re-calibrate the steering angle sensor.

I think i have tried it but it kept coming back, i haven't driven the car in a while so will give this a try. I rang Merc up and they want £290 - no thanks!

If you have tried this then it needs to be on Star.

Sorry i'm not sure I follow, do you mean I need to plug a start system in?

If STAR reported the SAS and the code is current you'll need to replace the sensor. Only a ten minute job

Could I get away with buying a second hand one? There are various numbers on the sensor but do you know which one i'll need?

Thanks

Personally I wouldn't trust second hand, they're easily damaged if removed carelessly.

hi yes that's correct, however, i'm getting offered one for £20 from someone i know that's breaking a similar car to mine, same year and model, so if £20 fixes it i'll be happy, if not i'll get a new one.

Do the part numbers have to be the same?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom