w203 2006 c180k juddering and shaking at low revs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

damian9128

Car
w203 180k Avantgarde SE 2006
Hi,

Last night when I was setting off home, when I started the car up it started juddering and shaking at low revs. It didn't do this on the previous journey (and it was still warm when I started it up).

Its idle speed is below 1000rpm. When I set soff driving last night, it seemed ok once I got going but everytime I came to a junction or slowed down it was violently juddering and struggling to idle unless I gave it some revs.

The engine management light came on after I restarted the car when I got home.

Car is a w203 2006 c class 180k auto avantgarde se with 100k miles.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Damian

Its a common problem on a fair few Mercedes and the best thing you can do it get it on a Star diagnosis machine otherwise you can throw a lot of money at solving the problem and still get nowhere.
Read my very first post I made when I joined as I had the dame problem and spent over £600.00 on parts and it still didn't resolve the issue.
No point in saying what it might be as it can be a whole host of things.
Good luck on getting it sorted without too much cost and if you do get it sorted then please let us know what it was as it may well help others suffering the same.

Keith

Its a common problem on a fair few Mercedes and the best thing you can do it get it on a Star diagnosis machine otherwise you can throw a lot of money at solving the problem and still get nowhere.
Read my very first post I made when I joined as I had the dame problem and spent over £600.00 on parts and it still didn't resolve the issue.
No point in saying what it might be as it can be a whole host of things.
Good luck on getting it sorted without too much cost and if you do get it sorted then please let us know what it was as it may well help others suffering the same.

Keith

Thanks. Its coming up as a camshaft position fault on diagnostic done by Greenflag. Just had them round.

There's a load of smoke too.

Last edited:
Change that and see what happens.

Damn, its running on 3 cylinders, misfiring, spewing out unburnt fuel smoke, idling at under 1000 rpm, got it on diagnostic today at the garage and it was coming up with: camshaft adjuster not camshaft sensor, so they're going to strip it down tomorrow.

Looks like the dealer I bought it from (on Wednesday)is going to pay for it - Wish me luck! :thumb:

Id reckon the cam chain has stretched and jumped a few teeth on in inlet cam , lift the rocker cover and you should be able to see the cams . I wouldnt drive it till you check it out as it could bend valves

I got a text from the guy from the garage I bought it from (who's arranged to have it fixed at mb at his expense). He said the timing chain and tensioner are being replaced. (for 1200 quid?!)

1200 pound would be cheap if that includes labour costs , the chain is around 150 euro , and the sprockets are 700 euro each .

Id reckon the cam chain has stretched and jumped a few teeth on in inlet cam , lift the rocker cover and you should be able to see the cams . I wouldnt drive it till you check it out as it could bend valves

Looks like you were spot on!

Damn, I've had the work done now and the car runs fine until I take it above 3500 rpm (ish). Then it starts misfiring. However when I switch it off and on again its fine. The ECU light's not coming up. Any ideas what this could be?

Cheers,

- Damian

Is it timed up properly? Take it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom