W203 220cdi Brake alternatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigJC

The brakes on my 203 estate need replacing and I was wondering what the alternative is to using OEM parts?

The standard brakes simply don't provide enough 'bite', very spongy and frankly past their best.

I was thinking of Brembo discs, ebc greenstuff pads and braided hoses, has anyone got this set up?

The car is standard aside from 17" alloys.

Advice will be appreciated!

Have you had it from new? Could be that the previous owner fitted cheapo parts before you. OE merc disks and pads are very good for road use.

Your standard brakes should be 'up to the job'. But if that's not enough for you, then you could try the Sport pack front discs and calipers or the more expensive Brembo set-up.

Cheers for the replies.

I've only had it for a year but it does have full MB dealer history, granted this does not rule out an interim brake change with non OEM parts but there's nothing reported to this effect.

The brake pedal currently feels spongy and I have to push the pedal quite firmly to get any results.

Honestly..unless you are taking your car round 'the Ring' your standard brakes 'in good condition' should be more than adequate!!

I've just been looking at the car and may have found the problem. The rear n/s is very pitted and there's little evidence of meat on the pads on either side at the rear.

This would suggest the front's are doing all the work.

Best get it booked in!

Wifes got a 203 saloon and the brakes are ****e:eek: req a hard press and lacking in feel i would say very wooden, she gets in my e class and we nearly go through the windscreen:D .

Press hard and they do the business they just feel rubbish, dont inspire confidence.

Fronts do nearly all the work anyway, the rears on most cars last for ever as they do so little.

Lynall

Fronts do nearly all the work anyway, the rears on most cars last for ever as they do so little.

Lynall

On a well balanced car with EBD this is not as true as it once was. Most of my recent cars have consumed rear and front pads and discs at remarkable similar rates. The Volvo was odd in having larger rear than front disks (but solid, not vented) and they seemed to last an inordinate amount of time.

Wifes got a 203 saloon and the brakes are ****e:eek: req a hard press and lacking in feel i would say very wooden, she gets in my e class and we nearly go through the windscreen:D .

Press hard and they do the business they just feel rubbish, dont inspire confidence.

E class brakes are awesome though...

Pm me your vin and I will price a set of Febi Bilstein discs and pads if you want, Cheers.

The brakes on my 203 estate need replacing and I was wondering what the alternative is to using OEM parts?

The standard brakes simply don't provide enough 'bite', very spongy and frankly past their best.

I was thinking of Brembo discs, ebc greenstuff pads and braided hoses, has anyone got this set up?

The car is standard aside from 17" alloys.

Advice will be appreciated!

Can I suggest some stainless steel braided brake hoses. I have fitted them to a few forum members cars with great results.

Pm me your vin and I will price a set of Febi Bilstein discs and pads if you want, Cheers.

Cheers fella, I take it I've not posted enough to earn PMability as I can't find the pm button anywhere.

If that hotmail addy works, I'll email it there!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom