W203 AMG calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just out of curiosity what would be involved in getting these on my W202, the matching discs and pads I imagaine is everything a bolt on swap ?

Just out of curiosity what would be involved in getting these on my W202, the matching discs and pads I imagaine is everything a bolt on swap ?

It is and then again it isnt. The problem that you face is having the drain plug pointing up or down. Some people have fitted the calipers to chrysler cars and have so far experienced no problems. However to get the calipers and pistons in the correct orientation you have to fit them with the drain plug pointed down.

You will also need the discs from a C32, pads and dust cover unless you want to remove, cut and then refit your existing one. Wheels will need to be 17" as a minimum to clear the caliper.

It is and then again it isnt. The problem that you face is having the drain plug pointing up or down. Some people have fitted the calipers to chrysler cars and have so far experienced no problems. However to get the calipers and pistons in the correct orientation you have to fit them with the drain plug pointed down.

You will also need the discs from a C32, pads and dust cover unless you want to remove, cut and then refit your existing one. Wheels will need to be 17" as a minimum to clear the caliper.

You just need to fit the nearside on the offside and offside on the nearside, that is what i did on mine and it is fine.
Bleed nipples point upwards.
Also the back plates don't need to be touched, and the original hoses fit fine.
I did this conversion 5 years ago and have never had any problems :thumb:

So you can fit just the new discs and calipers to the existing dust shields?

I was told that if the brakes are fitted that way it puts the leading piston the wrong way round.

Am I correct in saying that 203 AMG callipers also fit 208's?

Unless all pistons in the C32 caliper are of the same diameter and positioned symmetrically to the centre of it, fitting NS to NS and OS to OS is far more important than position of the drain plug.

Plug pointing downwards is not a problem for bleeding. One can either get a Sealey VS820 pressure bleeder (£50) which just pushes the fluid through the system or use the dealer - they have the same ones, just electrically operated.

The quick answer as said above it will work

People have done this mod on England and the USA

You just need to fit the nearside on the offside and offside on the nearside, that is what i did on mine and it is fine.
Bleed nipples point upwards.
Also the back plates don't need to be touched, and the original hoses fit fine.
I did this conversion 5 years ago and have never had any problems :thumb:

Hi,
Do you find them much of an improvement over the standard 43 items? The 43 brakes are not "pretty" but I think you would have to go a long way to beat their performance, after all they were specifically designed AMG items, and were intially designed for the 210 E55 a more powerful and heavier car.
I believe at the time they were built they had one of the shortest quoted stopping distances of any production car.

Hi,
Do you find them much of an improvement over the standard 43 items? The 43 brakes are not "pretty" but I think you would have to go a long way to beat their performance, after all they were specifically designed AMG items, and were intially designed for the 210 E55 a more powerful and heavier car.
I believe at the time they were built they had one of the shortest quoted stopping distances of any production car.

that is why i bought them from a member who has the conversion done
so i can fit to the v6 to v8 conversion im doing

Am I correct in saying that 203 AMG callipers also fit 208's?

Hi,
Whatever modifications required to fit them to a 202, would be required on the 208, afterall a 208 is only a coupe version of a 202.
But with what I said in my previous post, and the fact that 208 AMG brakes are slightly bigger than the 43 standard items, I would question how much improvement they would actually make.

The C43 brakes are very very good. The only thing they suffer from is poor ventilation so they over heat when used hard.

The main benefit of the C32 set up is the parts are much much cheaper. C43 discs are £175 each.

Hi,
Whatever modifications required to fit them to a 202, would be required on the 208, afterall a 208 is only a coupe version of a 202.
But with what I said in my previous post, and the fact that 208 AMG brakes are slightly bigger than the 43 standard items, I would question how much improvement they would actually make.

I'm after visual improvment, not braking power.

What would the rough cost be to get C32 callipers front and back on my 208 55?

The quick answer as said above it will work

People have done this mod on England and the USA

Of course they will but not how they were designed to work. Pistons size, order and position are the reason they go on respective sides. Otherwise we would all have universal calipers (and some out there are, I just don't know about C32's).

It is just interesting that people go by the plug direction which is indifferent to bleeding and not the caliper side, that is all.

I would question how much improvement they would actually make.

You can calculate the pistons coverage area using a formula below. If '43 area is greater, the mod will be a downgrade.

area_formula.gif

The C43 brakes are very very good. The only thing they suffer from is poor ventilation so they over heat when used hard.

The main benefit of the C32 set up is the parts are much much cheaper. C43 discs are £175 each.

2 questions then:

1. How much are C32 discs and pads as a comparison?
2. Can this be fitted in a weekend by an amateur mechanic?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom