W203 audio - fiber optic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hairboy

Car
2006 C220 CDI SPORT ESTATE
Hi guys

I've been looking to replace my Audio 20 on my 2006 W203 estate for the past week or so, and kind of decided on the headunit.

Then I rang a few shops to enquire about the connector kit, but was told that it will have fiber optic system, so it will be a big job, and not a straight swap. From what I've read on here and other forums, fiber optic cabling is used on Bose upgrade between the Audio 20 and an external Bose amp. Am I correct?
The speaker grilles are all plain, and can't seem to see any Bose logo anywhere on the car, so I'm assuming I don't have this option. But just in case, where would the Bose amp be if I did have it?

Thanks

Just take the unit out and you will see the fibre optic wires if fitted.
The new unit will need a canbus interface to work.
Whats up with the audio 20?
If its a nice motor why not fit the ntg 2.5?

I could do, but I wanted to find out if there are ways of finding out without taking the dash all apart - with a 4 months old baby, I don't get as much free time as i would like.

NTG2.5 seems pretty nice, but a bit on expensive side, with unit costing £500-600 on ebay, and another £200 fitting at comand.co.uk The units I am looking at are in the £300-400 region, so half the price, and can connect my iPhone 4S for app mode i.e. free and up to date sat nav/traffic info with Waze, too. If it is fiber optic, is Canbus adaptor the only extra thing to be able to fit other aftermarket HU?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom