W203 Auto Gearbox Problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HedleyA

Car
C270 CDI 5door
Hello all, you input would be much appreciated on this one.

My 2002 W203 developed a problem that may actually have been two problems.

1/ When accelerating hard it would reach 40mph and not change up past 3rd, i.e. go into limp home mode. Turning off and restarting put it back into normal mode.

2/ Other times, accelerating hard from a standing start, it would get to 40 and skip into neutral (revving up and down ok but no drive to the wheels). When I coasted down to 10mph it was fine again.

So I got it looked at and they replaced the faulty Trans Electronic Control Plates and refilled the ATF (£400 including diagnostics). The old AFT was in good condition but a little over filled.

Since the repair I can accelerate hard in a straight line and never get either of the problems.

But when I accelerate hard on a bend (usually to the right and uphill) it consistently goes into limp home mode. If I accelerate slowly, no problem.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance, HedleyA

By limp mode do you mean it's stays in 2nd gear? Or the engine has lack of power?

I thought that too. When I got it replaced (see first post) it was over-full and they re-filled it to the recommended level.

I am starting to wonder if it could be something electrical, like a loose connection.

Maybe. It needs to go on a Star again and the level checked with the proper dipstick.

common fault with W203's. I had the same problem. I can't remember what the exact fault is but I do remember taking my mechanics advice rather then employ his services as it would amount to a very large bill.

He said don't drive it hard :) ..............no problems ever since.

Many thanks Black55.

Many thanks GH421, I think I will follow the same advice.

Funny but i have a problem with my gearbox when i turn right it seems to be worse too. i thought i was imagining it. I suspect my n/s wheel camber/ alignment/ tire wear is the problem causing my asr ( wheelspin cutback) to kick in. Turning of the asr (maybe yours is esp or something) stops the fault occuring. Maybe you could try something like switch the things off ?

Funny but i have a problem with my gearbox when i turn right it seems to be worse too. i thought i was imagining it. I suspect my n/s wheel camber/ alignment/ tire wear is the problem causing my asr ( wheelspin cutback) to kick in. Turning of the asr (maybe yours is esp or something) stops the fault occuring. Maybe you could try something like switch the things off ?

Well yours definitely sounds like low gearbox fluid level to me..
It sounds like gravity is pulling it away from the pickup point when you go around a corner.

N/S driveshaft oil seal is leaking. Checked yesterday and it looks like maybe the bearing has slipped out a little maybe 5mm. Hopefullly pushing it back will help. Otherwise i cant make out if the driveshaft pops out as normal ? Anyone know ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom