W203 Auto Transmission Sump Plug Seized - any tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpod

Car
Merc C180k 2005
Hi I did a search and couldn't see an answer. Attempting to change my tranmission fluid, filter, pilot bushing.

I managed to loosen the sump cover bolts so they are good to go - they were easy.

But the T30 TORX sump plug is rock solid.

Tried an extension on TORX tool socket, no joy, if I push harder probably bust my crappy 1/4 rachet.
p_080435030_1.jpg

Any tips appreciated?

I can take the sump off without undoing the sump plug, bit messy! And take it to a mechanic I guess. Or is it not worth bothering?

Many thanks

Not sure on the design on yours but as a last resort I have used a chisel on the outer edge of the sump plug and given it a sharp blow anticlockwise with a hammer to loosen it.

breaker bar or piece of pipe on the ratchet handle - maybe use a 1/2 inch ratchet when trying that though

Isn't the sump aluminium? Not sure I'd want to be using large amounts of force.

Had the same problem on my W124, rather than knacker anything I drained it by loosening the sump nuts bit by bit tilting it down towards a large container, just remember there will be a good amount left in the sump when you finally remove it so keep it level.

Thanks fellas, I ordered a 1/2-inch impact TORX so will try the big ratchet and a bar!

If not my Dad has a chisel or I will pour it up my sleeve like Phil suggests!

Update you shortly.

Even with the plug removed, you can make a mess with the residual atf, so I'd take the sump off, prepared to catch a bigger spill.

It will be easy to remove the plug when you're the right way up, devoid of pain.

Cheers a111r

Many thanks for the Pro advice, tis appreciated,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom