W203 Battery/alternator visit workshop intermitant...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaiscossie

Hi, wonder if you can help me, i have a w203 c270 cdi saloon and over the last day or two i keep getting the error message come up.When i first drive the car it wont come up for 5mins or so then it will keep flashing up every 30seconds or so after that.I took the car to a local garage who said the charging system was working fine although when under load the voltage would drop now and then, they said the battery could be on its way out so replaced the battery but is still doing the same.The car had the alternator reconditioned around 2 months back so is all new and so is the belt. Any ideas what could be causing this light to come up? Thanks

Did they replace the voltage regulator on the alternator when it was refurned???

Im not to sure to be honest, they rebuilt the alternator ? would this be included normally?

It depends on what they term refurbish and if they tested it and found it to be ok at the time.

Here is the part (No.60) but I can't get your part number without your Vin. IIRC they're about £50
volt.jpg

I dont think they would of replaced that part, does this mean my battery will go flat if the voltage regulator isnt working ? I noticed when i put my xenons on last night they kept coming on then off again.

I dont think they would of replaced that part, does this mean my battery will go flat if the voltage regulator isnt working ? I noticed when i put my xenons on last night they kept coming on then off again.
Yes. If the volt regulator isn't throwing out enough then the battery won't be charging

I dont understand how come that when the guy put his meter on the battery and tested it he said it was all charging ok ?

It could be an intermitten fault ???:confused: Get a cheap multimeter and check it yourself.

I'm not syaing thats the fault but its something else to rule out

ok i will do thank you, how do i test with a multimeter? i.e what should it be reading

[YOUTUBE]dq24oPUVmdA[/YOUTUBE]
Buy one of these Multimeter

Last edited:
Just to put your mind at rest, I have the same problem with my Merc, it's a code 61 on STAR. My alternator and battery are fine, in my case it's either the cable that sends the signal to the front SAM, which goes up the front of the engine and over the top in the loom with the injectors, then into the bulkhead to the SAM or it's the SAM itself. Haven't had chance to sort it yet since the end of October! The warning comes on, I just disregard it!

The car has started every time throughout the cold snap...

As I say, probably a break in te wiring :dk:

Don't Worry

Cheers guys, what would cause the xenons to flick on and off each time this message comes up?

Hi, I had exactly the same issue, put a new battery on it, no difference, thought about the voltage reg as my car is 10yrs old and now 120k miles, thought the voltage reg made sense, but as you may have figured out by now unlike slightly older mercs, its not the super easy fit outside the alternator £10 part but an internal part, well measured the voltage at rest 12.8v and the voltage running 14.8/15.2 depending on state of discharge, which looked perfect, well I ended up removing battery and then battery tray, I found there where some cables underneath the tray that were being stressed by the wheight of the battery (insulation flattened to failure), I put insulation tape around the cables in question and refitted everything, since then I havent scene the dash error re appear,
I cant give you an absolutes on this but this is what I have done and I havent seen the error since, before I found this "fix" I moved the cable you can see that goes from the batt down the back of the engine to the alternator, and it gave some relief from the prob for weeks on end, I also worked on the V+ box that goes from batt + to where you would jump the car from, but found no probs, well appreciate some feedback if you find this helpful or find another fix, as im not 100% that the work I did was enough, that said I havent seen the prob for at least 10 weeks now. good luck with the prob, you wouldnt want to put it into benz for the work bet it would be costly!!, regards Mark....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom