W203 - bit of pre winter faffing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Remmoc

Car
C180 Kompressor
Bit of pre winter preventative maintenance . Ive been informed by a keen Merc owner that the boot channels clog up with mud under the side plastic trims which can lead to water getting in the boot so this lunchtime i removed them and sure enough the channels were indeed full of wet mud .

Ive cleaned both out so they and the plastic cover are spotless . Also noted the plastic clips did very little , in fact i removed them without pushing the pin in .

Ive replaced them with ones with screw in centres having put a load of non setting roof and gutter sealant around the holes and under the new clips .

Hopefully that will stop any potential leaks
1f642.png

71873992_10220798776418899_962116912467148800_n.jpg 72625509_10220798777218919_6958204983569285120_n.jpg

Biggest lesson I learnt for pre-winter maintenance for my S203 was to make sure the screenwash fluid was safe to very low temperature - like -20C! Popped connections due to freezing can be anything from easy through difficult to removing the glovebox, I had all 3!!

Biggest lesson I learnt for pre-winter maintenance for my S203 was to make sure the screenwash fluid was safe to very low temperature - like -20C! Popped connections due to freezing can be anything from easy through difficult to removing the glovebox, I had all 3!!
Thats the next check im doing , il run 50/50 mix as i do in my other cars

It's the same with the water channels at the bottom of the windscreen it's worth taking the front wheel arch liners out and blasting a hose or pressure washer through the holes.

Now I know you're wondering "why take the wheel arch liners out!?" well that's because the hole is right behind them and with me it was a case where the cr*p in the pipe hit the wheel arch liner and refused to go any further essentially blocking the hole.

When I removed them in a winter prep clean last year and did it I was amazed at the amount of crud that came out even though I regularly aim the pressure washer down the hole.

While the wheel arch liner are off though you can treat the car to a clean behind them and a coat of hammerite if you like you'll be surprised at what can work it's way through.

Here's a pic of the exit pipe behind the liner.
IMG_0557.jpg

Referring to the water channels at the bottom of the windscreen, I use a plastic coated curtain wire purchased for just £1 from poundland to clear the exit pipe.

Members of a certain age will recall these wires being used for net curtains.
As a side comment this wire is also good for threading electric cable through difficult places.

I find 4mm square Oregon cutter/strimmer line good for rodding through drains - having given the strimmer and all its bits to a friend a while ago, I keep forgetting to rescue a couple of metres of it each time I'm over at his place!

While the wheel arch liner are off though you can treat the car to a clean behind them and a coat of hammerite if you like you'll be surprised at what can work it's way through.
If it ever stops raining il do this , i keep the ones under the wipers clean and its never leaked inside but just like the boot gutter clean i did prevention is better than cure

It's the same with the water channels at the bottom of the windscreen it's worth taking the front wheel arch liners out and blasting a hose or pressure washer through the holes.
Took the inner two drain pipes off , one clear and one partially blocked , drivers side has no pipe , the one by the cabin filter cleared after i blasted an air line down it

I did my pre winter prep on mine today. Clayed, polished, sealed then 2 coats of collinite my favourite winter wax. Polished all the door jams and painted parts under the hood and checked and cleaned all the drain offs. I also removed all the wheels and cleaned and dressed the arches including sealing the wheels.

Now I know you're wondering "why take the wheel arch liners out!?" well that's because the hole is right behind them and with me it was a case where the cr*p in the pipe hit the wheel arch liner and refused to go any further essentially blocking the hole.

When I removed them in a winter prep clean last year and did it I was amazed at the amount of crud that came out even though I regularly aim the pressure washer down the hole.

Here's a pic of the exit pipe behind the liner.
View attachment 89509

Don't know if you can do from underneath but check the battery compartment drain - next to the screen drain on the passenger side - is clear too. My battery compartment found to be half full of water when I had a flat battery - probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

Don't know if you can do from underneath but check the battery compartment drain - next to the screen drain on the passenger side - is clear too. My battery compartment found to be half full of water when I had a flat battery - probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.
If it ever stops raining il check this out too - thanks :)

Even after cleaning all the boot channels theres still a bit of water in each boot corner, the two cubby holes behind the rear aches , none anywhere else , spare wheel hole is dry as is all the interior .

i did replace the boot side gutter trim clips and theres none getting in via these .

Any ideas how its getting there please - i HATE leaky cars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom