W203 c 220 cdi..tow a caravan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mickster

Car
C220 W203
Hello Guys.

I'm toying with the idea of fitting a towbar to my 2005 C220 Cdi Eleganza.

The caravan is about 1250kg unladen.

Does anyone know whether the car will handle it OK?

Also I can't find any info about the Max ball weight for this car.

Cheers

Mick

Have a look at the black and white sticker on the inside of the door jamb. Towing weights on there.

My 2006 C class 203 shows no towing allowed , shown by the 4 white dashes.

1638399222096.jpeg

What Petrol Pete stated was indeed true, HIS car is not type approved to tow. He just showed his plate to demonstrate where the OPs info could be found.
The statement about the car winning "Towcar of the year" isn't true though; the comment "but there are better tow cars" in the article kind of makes that point.

Try visiting towcar.info but be aware that some cars are not correctly listed as some options remove the towing type approval. The weight you are interested in for the caravan is the MTPLM rather than the unladen weight though.

@Petrol Pete is spot on, you need to check the VIN plate to make sure that your car is type approved for towing and what the approved weight is.

Without that it doesn’t matter whether a towbar is available, or whether the car is capable of towing - or even there being similar cars with a towbar fitted - it’s illegal.

Once you know your car is type approved go to Outfit Matching Car and Caravan as suggested by @Martyn_n and enter the details of your car and caravan.

It will tell you how well matched they are. In the UK general guidance is to not exceed an 85% match, to make sure that the car is heavier than the caravan.

Those more experienced at towing can safely go over 85% but generally the lower the match percentage the safer and more comfortable the experience.

Last edited:
Not true it won the tow car of the year . More like just google it .View attachment 121388Mercedes might not like you towing one .
The OP’s car is a 2005 W203, your Google search turned up an S205, two generations newer so a completely different engine, platform and body style.

Hello Guys.

I have grabbed a pic of the VIN plate.
How do I decipher the 4 rows that I have with weights in KG?

Cheers

Hello Guys.

I have grabbed a pic of the VIN plate.
How do I decipher the 4 rows that I have with weights in KG?

Cheers
Best upload the photo or type the details into a post. Four lines of numbers sounds promising start though as it suggests that the car is type approved for towing. The details you provide will confirm the approved weight.

All 1500 start check it out on a Google search to say that the cars cant tow is not true once again View attachment 121390
Not all derivatives of a particular model are type approved for towing. Pete’s car is an example, and there are others. The only definitive source is the VIN plate.

If you want the best tow vehicle buy a volvo v70 d5 😀
20210906-191154.jpg
[/url]

If the caravan is 1250kg unladen check the maximum laden weight the caravan is allowed, i.e. with all your normal bits on board whether they are or not. If it's over 1500kg you will be breaking the law (if you get caught) Also, if you passed your test after 1996 you are technically 20kg over the allowable weigh limit (again if you get caught) I think the law on that maybe changing if it hasn't already

Pic was too large so here are the numbers

2020kg
3520kg
1 - 1000kg
2 - 1050kg
Sorry I missed this, looks like you are approved to tow up to 1500kg, which is the difference between the first two numbers.

If the caravan is 1250kg unladen check the maximum laden weight the caravan is allowed, i.e. with all your normal bits on board whether they are or not. If it's over 1500kg you will be breaking the law (if you get caught) Also, if you passed your test after 1996 you are technically 20kg over the allowable weigh limit (again if you get caught) I think the law on that maybe changing if it hasn't already
"If you get caught...." or God forbid have a big accident towing where some sharp eyed insurance investigator suspects you were towing overweight....

I had a 220cdi C Class Coupe and we towed 1500kg with no issue at all (4 people on board). Very stable, plenty of power.

And also that article about the w205 c class is incorrect. The noseweight limit is 84kg (not 100kg) as it shares the rear platform architecture (and towbar) with the 213 (E Class).

2020kg
3520kg
1 - 1000kg
2 - 1050kg

looks like you are approved to tow up to 1500kg, which is the difference between the first two numbers.
Spot on,
2020 = max vehicle laden weight
3520 = max combined weight inc passengers
1000 = max on front axle
1050 = max on rear axel
If you have NOT got all 4 numbers you are NOT type approved and if you do attached a tow bar for ANY reason you are NOT insured and will lose your house if you have an accident and cause injury.
Think on all you, i have done this and thats with my car, chech the vin 😇

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom