W203 C-Class electric seats stopped working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I have the drivers seat set to move fore/aft using the convenience feature, but yesterday it stopped and today it's no better.

A quick test revealed that:

1. All electric adjustment on DRIVER'S seat is NOT working.
2. All electric adjustment on PASSENGER'S seat is working FINE.
3. Electric windows from drivers door controls are working FINE.

Any ideas?

I would personally be checking the fuses and the switch itself before going down the faulty motor route.

Check the fuses in the SAM at the back.

Whereabouts should I be looking Olly?

Probably a fuse gone. Went on mine. In rear SAM in my estate.

Buffers

Please keep us posted for future reference.

NB My drivers seats works fine but not the convenience feature even though it is selceted?

I had a very similar problem a few months ago. I had the seat/steering wheel comfort feature active as well. Basically, a short (he's 5' tall) friend of mine had a try in my car and had to move the seat quite a way forward. After his fun, I pushed the memory button to set it all back and that was that. Got home, parked up and noticed the seat and steering didn't move as usual, couldn't be ****d to fiddle around so left it to the morning. So, next morning the comfort feature was still non existant and then I realised there was no life from any of the seat switches on the door. The control to move the steering wheel was dead too. As you said, it was fine on the passenger side and the windows were fine from the drivers door.

Long story short, I took it to a pal at the dealer who STAR'd it and reset the seat. When my shortarsed mate had put the seat so far forward, there was some reason that the seat thought it was going to go too far and drop of the runner (I know, weird!) and it lets you return the seat to it's memory position but won't let you move it again in case you go off the rails! lol

It's been fine since it was plugged in and reset and subsequently there is now a height restriction, a la Alton Towers, to anyone who wants to drive my car! :D

Ahhh. Thanks Gaz.

I'll have a sniff around at the weekend, but it sounds like I need STAR!!

I reckon it'd cure it, but a STAR is defo needed for this reset job. Fingers crossed fella!

The missus blew the fuse on the passenger seat today, reclining the seat into the base of the dropped back seats (estate). Fuse 1 in the rear sam by the first aid kit was blown. Replaced and all working fine. She defo did overwork it trying to crush the rear seats into the floor though.
IIRC it was fuse one or two, 30a in the boot.

The reason the fuse blows is because the cable for the seat motor chafes and shorts out. Take the back off the seat and all will be revealed.

BobbyD. Look in the boot for the fuse box

The reason the fuse blows is because the cable for the seat motor chafes and shorts out. Take the back off the seat and all will be revealed.

BobbyD. Look in the boot for the fuse box

Would that kill the battery?

Not used the car since Thursday but battery completely dead. :(

Unable to start it using my booster pack so I've called Mobilo. :( :(

The tech is on a job and knocking off soon, so a tech will be with me from 0730!

Never had any electrical problems before, so maybe connected to seat problem.

Mobilo arrived just after 0900 and were here for 2 hours. The M42 was closed which held him up getting here. Excellent service though.

Turned out to be the battery - it was 6.1v when tested. Run a full STAR check and cleared down faults, and charged with his booster pack, and repeated tests and STAR. No drains identified. Very comprehensive.

The electric seats were one of the first systems to shut down to protect the battery. Over the weekend everything shut down!

I'm away on business for the rest of the week and so I would have to get a replacement battery today, to make sure that I don't come back to another flat battery. If I called out Mobilo again, then it may have been chargeable, as well as inconvenient.

Apparently the call out is chargeable (about £150) if you don't have a genuine battery fitted, but no worries there as mine was the original. They have to quote a unique number from the battery on their paperwork, else it will be rejected.

My first choice was 5 year Bosch from EuroCarParts at £85 after discount. A genuine MB replacement battery from the Mobilo man was cheaper than the main dealer at £140, but only has a 3 year warranty, but the major benefit was that he fitted it there and then.

So all sorted now, electric seats working, usual service resumed, and a very positive impression of Mobilo.

Last edited:
I get a decent discount on MB batteries if you want I can get a quote...

Thanks Jay - very kind of you.

I mulled it over but decided that £140 wasn't to bad for the convenience of sorting there and then, so the Mobilo man fitted it and cleared down the codes (after removing/replacing).

seat fault

I have the drivers seat set to move fore/aft using the convenience feature, but yesterday it stopped and today it's no better.

A quick test revealed that:

1. All electric adjustment on DRIVER'S seat is NOT working.
2. All electric adjustment on PASSENGER'S seat is working FINE.
3. Electric windows from drivers door controls are working FINE.

Any ideas?

check rear fuses number 1 and 2 if not OK. each seat remove the back cover and side cover where the seat switch are remove the wire going to back of the seat. from the back pull the wire out becarful check the wire you will see one wire cut thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom