W203 C-Class Facelift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VikJ

Car
2014 W246 B180CDi AMG Line Premium
Found this article regarding the facelift for the W203. Pictured is a C55, mmmm, want one!

Doesn't look radically different but is masked quite well so difficult to tell.

Link

Mercedes' current entry-level luxury model, the C-Class, has been on the market for four years now, and for February 2004, the automaker will give the current (W203 series) car a facelift, consisting mainly of a slightly revised exterior design, as well as higher-quality interior appointments.

FrontRs.jpg

Mercedes-Benz is giving its current W203 C-Class its first major facelift in February 2004. The new design can be recognized by new front and rear skirts, clear glass headlights, a narrower front grille, LED rear lights, and side protection bars for the exterior. Inside, the interior appointments will be revised, including new seats, fabrics, and dashboard.

FrontR.jpg

Above: Mercedes' C55 AMG in testing

Simultaneously, Mercedes will replace the current top-of-the-range supercharged AMG C32 Kompressor sports sedan with an all-new model, dubbed the C55. The new label is indicative of the most important change in this model - the 3.2-liter Kompressor V6 engine will be replaced by a normally aspirated 5.5-liter V-8 engine, which is expected to generate around 367 hp of power. The engine is essentially the engine used in all the AMG '55' models, although some, such as the SL55, E55, S55, and CL55, are badged "Kompressor" and are fitted with superchargers.

The highly individualized and reworked C55 will incorporate all features of the upcoming C-Class facelift and will come with full AMG trim, including a spoiler and rocker panels, a large, chromed twin-exhaust system, customized aluminum alloy wheels, and a specially tuned sport suspension. Under the hood, the 5.5-liter V-8 engine will at first be mated to Mercedes' five-speed automatic transmission, driving the rear wheels. Later, the company's new seven-speed transmission is expected to become available (see here for more information), but all-wheel drive will not be offered on the AMG. The C55 will be available as a four-door sedan and a five-door wagon, but likely in sedan form only in the US.

RearR.jpg

Above: Another shot of the upcoming C55 AMG

"Ordinary" C-Class models can be ordered with the AMG styling package to look like their high-performance brethren, but to distinguish the higher-priced car, the real AMG model will get a unique look - the C55 features a distinct front-end design with a special radiator grille that is said to meld elements from the C-Class and the CLK coupe.

Oh dear - looks from the photos below that MB has done a group buy on parts from VW / Audi. Steering wheel very Audi, Instruments look like MkIV Golf.
Sat Nav looks better but squared off switches look at odds with curved air vents and glovebox handle. Air Con controls based around E class ?

Audio systems will all be updated, starting with Audio 20 - very original !

C320 upwards will have short shift manual gearchange - but who buys a manual anyway.

220CDI boostd to 150hp from 143hp
230K returns with 192bhp - death of the 240 V6 ??

11858_1075719673737.jpg

pub267_3.jpg

Bug**r

They do this every time I buy used model so mine will be worth even less when its time to change :(

Nice looking car though that C 55

That looks well nice, im sure you can make yours appear 'facelift' with a few hundred quid :)

That inside is terrible

KillerHERTZ said:
That inside is terrible
That steering wheel looks terrible, however, I am intrigued with the big blue stripe (looks like an electronic display maybe) nestled in between the speedo and rev counter. I've always liked the latter VW blue lighting used in the instrument dash cluster.

S.

The steering wheel looks exactly like the one in the R171 SLK. I don't think the one from the sportcoupé looks particularly nice either, not a big fan of plastic 3-spoke wheels I'm afraid!

I quite like that . Looks fresher.

Three spoke wheel is diferent . Maybe we all need a change :D

Nice looking from the exterior – not too sure about the interior though… I`m gona make my final decision if I`m going to change my car at end of the month when I see it in flesh – that’s when my Dealer tells me they`ll have one for me to test drive for the day…..- the engines are supposed to be slightly upgraded as well…. – the new bi xenons will move around corners/bends etc. like they do on the W210/11 and also the paint gets the nano particle treatment – I`m looking at Sat Nav/Command as well…. – I hope that they still do the 5 double spoke alloys as a factory option like on my current car…

Flash

Flash said:
Nice looking from the exterior – not too sure about the interior though… I`m gona make my final decision if I`m going to change my car at end of the month when I see it in flesh – that’s when my Dealer tells me they`ll have one for me to test drive for the day…..- the engines are supposed to be slightly upgraded as well…. – the new bi xenons will move around corners/bends etc. like they do on the W210/11 and also the paint gets the nano particle treatment – I`m looking at Sat Nav/Command as well…. – I hope that they still do the 5 double spoke alloys as a factory option like on my current car…

Flash

Flash - is your dealer saying he will have facelifted models at his showroom at the end of Feb to testdrive? The press seem to suggest the Coupe and Estate will be available in May and the Saloon in July. Perhaps the dealers are getting adavance models and customers can order for May\July????

Hi CBenz,

My sales person said in mid December that they`ll have one at end of the February for me to test drive... I`ll call her later on today and double check that info - if the info I`ve been given is incorrect then I apologise in advance... I hope that is not the case where if the cars are not available until May/July then it`ll probably be Sept/Octo delivery realistically before I get my new one :crazy: (as I want to see the car in person and then decide if the exterior changes/cosmetics are drastic enough to justify trading in my current car which is only 5 months old at the moment.....)

Flash

CBenz,

Ur right – she got back to me and said around Spring time April/May… she’s promised to do me a “good deal” for providng misleading info… :bannana: plus I have put a lot of business her way from myself and family…

Instead of keeping my other half’s b`day present a surprise we have now both jointly decided to get the CLK Cab but not decided on engine size yet for Sept delivery (so not exactly in time for b`day present then…) – my “lovely” sales lady is now giving us a CLK500 to test drive for the whole w/end… and CLK 320 the following w/end… with full tank of fuel (as a deposit for the order has now been placed…) :D

Flash

Thanks for the info Flash, shame really as it means the wait is a bit longer. I'm after a facelifted C Sport Coupe. I wonder how soon they'll have the brochures and whether you can order a facelifted model before May to get it on May 1st?

The CLK Cab looks gr8 btw, even better when you are getting one for 2 weekends for nothing, nice one!

Cbenz,

I was told today that they are already taking orders for the face lifted models and yes if you were to order one now u would get it in time for launch or just after... (she tried her best to try and secure a deposit on the face lifted C Class as well today...) only down side at momemt is that there is not an offical brouchure to decide on full spec/colours etc. They may possibly introduce other colours and there is definitely a new range of wheels... -from pics that I have seen of the coupe the new rear lights/clusters look really cool... - if u can get the optional bi xenons to finish the car off nicely... they now turn/move around bends/corners...

Flash

Thanks Flash. Like you say it would be preferable to see the brochure first but presumably you put your deposit down and then can spec later knowing you have a build slot?

Only draw back presumably is you don't know how much you are going to spend, they have your business with your deposit and it is therefore harder to negotiate a decent discount once you have worked out your spend from the brochure as they already have you?

cbenz said:
Thanks Flash. Like you say it would be preferable to see the brochure first but presumably you put your deposit down and then can spec later knowing you have a build slot?

No probs Cbenz - when u place an order u are secured a build slot and have a certain date restriction which the dealer will tell u that u cannot make any changes to the spec afterwards (relating to the production stage I think that the vehicle has reached... or build date)

Only draw back presumably is you don't know how much you are going to spend, they have your business with your deposit and it is therefore harder to negotiate a decent discount once you have worked out your spend from the brochure as they already have you?

Witout offical price lists it is very difficult to estiamte the cost of the vehilce/options etc. - if u decide to place a deposit early then make sure that you clearly state in the agreement "subject to pricing..." or something. Because this is a face lifted model (about to be launched) its going to be a little more diffficult for us to negotiate discounts... - Therefore, it`s probably best not to place any deposit until offical price lists have been released... which is also another reason why I have not placed a deposit yet on the c class to secure a build slot at least...

R u still getting the C200 Kompressor ?

Flash

Flash,

Looks like we'll have to be patient for the new pricelists to come out, hopefully well in advance of May! I'll then probably push as hard as poss for a decent discount and then see what I can get at other dealers by way of a comparision. Perhaps we could keep each other informed of developments\news re discounts\pricelists\brochure avaulability?!

The C200k Sport Coupe SE is still fave (well remembered!) with auto (seems no choice!), Evolution Pack (will be interesting to see what difference wheels this has in the facelift), Parktronic, Obsidian most likely (with the new tougher nano-particle paint!), leather, folding mirrors and perhaps Xenons unless I decide to make do with the new clear halogens! :D

Sounds like an awsome spec u`ve got lined up - I was very impressed with C200K engine - put a big smile on my face :) (the current engine recieved a litttle bit of tweaking when the C180K was launched... and thats teh one I`ve had access to.

I`ll def keep u informed of any updates/info - PM ur full spec ie. interior etc. and when I phone arouind to try and obtain prices nearer the time just for intrest (to ensure that I`m getting a good deal from my dealer I`ll c wots the best they come up with for ur spec too... I`ll c wot price my dealer offers for ur spec when prices are released...

Flash

I have to say I really like that new interior. It looks a lot more solid than the previous one, although it could all be different in the flesh :) I'm assuming that the interior will appear in the CLK at some point when it gets a little makeover...

Hi I 've just ordered a new C220 but the leasing co claims to know nothing about the facelift nor the new CDI with Eurostep IV. Presumably I'll end up with the non facelifted version depending on the current waiting list, which was 6 months last time around. There's nothing on the UK Benz site either, does anyone know where I can point Avis, polite answers only please I know where I want to point them, to the newer version?

jonathand said:
Hi I 've just ordered a new C220 but the leasing co claims to know nothing about the facelift nor the new CDI with Eurostep IV. Presumably I'll end up with the non facelifted version depending on the current waiting list, which was 6 months last time around. There's nothing on the UK Benz site either, does anyone know where I can point Avis, polite answers only please I know where I want to point them, to the newer version?

Hi,

I could be wrong but DamilerChrysler may have a special deal with the leasing company's to purchase any pre face lift vehicles (from what I know there is quite a bit of stock still remaining that has to be shifted...) - DamilerChrysler are most unlikely to advertise/promote the face lift at such an early stage as they too will want to get rid of currrent stock...

Perhaps u may be able to have a word with ur leasing company and request a i.e. May 04 production vehilce (face lift model will defnitely have gone well into production by then...) - or if u can just get it in writitng from them that u want a face lift model - I`m sure that Avis Marketing department will be able to assist u - they usually take care of the buying/selling of stock etc.

Hope u get this sorted with Avis.

Flash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom