W203 c class - loud clicking noise

Discussion in 'Engine' started by kingycos, Dec 12, 2016.

1. kingycos

kingycos New Member

Car:
    mercedes cl600
    My 2005 c class has developed a loud clicking nose behind the dash board every time it's started up. It lasts for about 10/30 seconds and then disappears. Can anyone shed any light on this for me please? The car drives perfect with no issues as normal. Any help is really appreciated

2. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    A very common and very expensive problem = £900ish. It is a dashboard out job.

The blend flap (plastic) gears have broken. Each time you turn on the ignition the flaps will attempt to register their position by the gears turning. When they break! What you hear is that process as the gears now cannot register and the flaps are being driven over the broken teeth.

You could just leave alone, many do. The issue is the noise and the possibility that your heating/AC will not direct as you set it to. So you could (if unlucky) have freezing air blowing on your face all day. Also when you try to sell it....You guessed it. Whats that clicking sound I hear?

1 person likes this.
  3. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Depends which flap it is. One maybe two are accessible from underneath.

Get the codes read using STAR, to pinpoint the offending flap

4. OP
    OP
    kingycos

kingycos New Member

Car:
    mercedes cl600
    Thanks for you help I've had a look today and it seams really low down so hopefully I won't have to take the dash out. Are all the flaps the same so when I order one from Mercedes I get the right one?

5. Tim203

Tim203 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Sorry to crash the thread but top explanation Bruce .My203 has literally started doing this last week. I'm convinced Mercedes send out signals for these cars to fail. I'm lucky I have the forum and my own facilities to repair my car. I haven't noticed any difference to the heating system though. It's still rubbish !

Edit; mine sounds like someone's locked in and tapping to get out!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Tim203

Tim203 Hardcore MB Enthusiast