W203 C class windscreen washers not workig

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thebassman

Car
C280 AVANTGARDE S.E.
Hi, washers have stopped working on my w203 c280, 56' plate. I took the cheapest option and replaced the washer motor but no luck. The vehicle fuse guide says there is no fuse for it so I now think it may be the multi function stalk. Anyone had a similar problem and had to buy a replacment ? Looking for a good one but reluctant to purchase from a dealership. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Put a voltmeter across the motor and see if it gets voltage when you operate the control .

There is probably a relay somewhere in between.

The Haynes manual usually has a wiring diagram - about £20 to buy or your public library may have it .

Have you checked for sludge in the filter? At the age of the car it is a distinct possibility.

2 things.
There is a fuse for the pump but may not be shown on the guide that came with the car. You just have to find it. My CLS had a secret fuse in the engine bay for the 12v socket.
Make sure all hoses are properley connected.

Have you checked for sludge in the filter? At the age of the car it is a distinct possibility.
Thanks, will check the filter, assume it's inside the reservoir. Have already purchased a new motor and fitted it, also put power to the old motor and that was working ok {Grr} Have a friend who has a Diagnostic Laptop and he is having a look for me on Friday as I also have a parking sensor fault as well.
Thanks.

2 things.
There is a fuse for the pump but may not be shown on the guide that came with the car. You just have to find it. My CLS had a secret fuse in the engine bay for the 12v socket.
Make sure all hoses are properley connected.
Thanks, all hoses are ok, will look at all fuses once the weather improves.
Cheers.

Yes in the reservoir. Good luck getting it sorted

Are the wipers doing pass when you push the switch in, if not the it's probably the stalk.

Mine went the other week.

Indicator Stalk W203

I have read there is a non return valve somewhere along the hoses at a pinch it could be that.

Wipers only work when the stalk is turned, don't think they have ever worked just by pushing the stalk but maybe they have and I haven't taken that much notice. You say yours went a while ago, where did you get a replacement from ? Is there a relay for the windscreen washers and if so do you know which one it is.
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. it's really appreciated.

Wipers only work when the stalk is turned, don't think they have ever worked just by pushing the stalk but maybe they have and I haven't taken that much notice. You say yours went a while ago, where did you get a replacement from ? Is there a relay for the windscreen washers and if so do you know which one it is.
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. it's really appreciated.

No problem at all.

When you push the stalk in and the screen wash shoots out the wipers should go as well to clear the screen.

Try pushing it in, holding it an wigglling the stalk if it suddenly sparks into life the it's the stalk.

Mine went few weeks ago all in all it was £200 parts and labour at Mercedes £100 parts £100 labour. Personally i'd only go genuine as it's not something you'd want to take off more than once Merc Newcastle, Edinburgh have the parts listed on eBay £108 if i recall.

It could also be a bonnet or door switch as the screenwash and wipers shouldn't work if either are open so it's worth checking those.

I didn't need to poke about the the Sam unit under the bonnet where the relays are located but here's a link to a diagram.

https://fusesdiagram.com/mercedes/fuses-and-relay-mercedes-w203.html

Just make sure everything is super dry before poking around in there and it is not raining otherwise things could go south very quickly, wipe the cover with a cloth before removing and make sure it well secured when replacing it (might be teaching you suck eggs but worth mentioning).

I can't think of anything else to check but the stalk is a common problem i've read frequently used with small wires inside.

On my 2006 C320cdi the washers for the front windscreen were heated and if i got in and after starting turned the washers on straight away they would not work for at least 5 or 10 secs until they were warmed up.

If yours are heated ones maybe a fuse has gone for them?

Bit of an odd one i wonder if that is affected by the outside temperature?

i got straight in my car turned the key and tried the screen wash it worked straight away.

No problem at all.

When you push the stalk in and the screen wash shoots out the wipers should go as well to clear the screen.

Try pushing it in, holding it an wigglling the stalk if it suddenly sparks into life the it's the stalk.

Mine went few weeks ago all in all it was £200 parts and labour at Mercedes £100 parts £100 labour. Personally i'd only go genuine as it's not something you'd want to take off more than once Merc Newcastle, Edinburgh have the parts listed on eBay £108 if i recall.

It could also be a bonnet or door switch as the screenwash and wipers shouldn't work if either are open so it's worth checking those.

I didn't need to poke about the the Sam unit under the bonnet where the relays are located but here's a link to a diagram.

https://fusesdiagram.com/mercedes/fuses-and-relay-mercedes-w203.html

Just make sure everything is super dry before poking around in there and it is not raining otherwise things could go south very quickly, wipe the cover with a cloth before removing and make sure it well secured when replacing it (might be teaching you suck eggs but worth mentioning).

I can't think of anything else to check but the stalk is a common problem i've read frequently used with small wires inside.
Thanks again, going to see a mate on Friday who has a diagnostic laptop so hopefully that will pinpoint the problem. Going off the link you sent me there doesn't appear to be a fuse or a relay soley tor the washers. Cheers.

Thanks again, going to see a mate on Friday who has a diagnostic laptop so hopefully that will pinpoint the problem. Going off the link you sent me there doesn't appear to be a fuse or a relay soley tor the washers. Cheers.
Hi, Had it on a mates diagnostic computer today, the only fault showing was Circuit 30 has an under voltage of 10.5 volts B1051 Code Don't understand what this means, could it be a fault in the Multi Function Stalk which is what works the screen washers, as well as other things but only screen washers not working ?
Cheers.

Hi, Had it on a mates diagnostic computer today, the only fault showing was Circuit 30 has an under voltage of 10.5 volts B1051 Code Don't understand what this means, could it be a fault in the Multi Function Stalk which is what works the screen washers, as well as other things but only screen washers not working ?
Cheers.

When you push the stalk in do the window wipers do a sweep?

Tried all that, must be the stalk. Away on hols for 2 weeks on Tuesday so will buy a replacement when I return.
Thanks for all the help. Cheers.

Here's a diagram from a well known series of manuals for the W203. The direct link to a pdf is:-

W203 Washer wiring — Postimage.org

click on the image in the link for the large version.
That looks helpful, many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom