W203 C180 Engine oil leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

450fab

Car
2002 W203
Mods - I originally mistakenly posted this to the Interior discussion forum. Feel free to delete it. Sorry

Hi all,

I've just bought into the Mercedes community with a fifteen year old W203 C180. It has around 130,000 miles on the clock and has been owned by myself for around a week.

I bought this car to try and expand my mechanical experience beyond my current competency of simple things like oil and fluid changes, brake changes, and chain and sprocket-type work on motorcycles.

Anyway, this morning I've found my first problem-project; what appears to be an oil leak. After sitting all night, and running the engine for around 15-20 minutes to run a pump for the tyres (another problem for another thread), I find a significant puddle of oil under the engine. I've only a hydraulic jack to hand at the moment, so haven't been able to get underneath to give a good look, but the engine looks to be covered in oil.

Here are some snaps taken from the vantage point of the right and left front wheel arch, and also into the engine bay from above.

https://imgur.com/a/yqZoN

I've checked the dip stick, and there's oil on it (might be slightly too much actually), and I did a computer check of the oil when the engine was slightly warm on a flat driveway, and got a thumbs-up; no issues.

When I bought the car last week the computer did say it wanted 1L of oil which was promptly provided; w10-30.

My plan of action now is to wash the engine bay down to clear the crud in there, let the engine run for 15min and see how quickly the oil forms on some cardboard underneath.

Next I'll see about getting some UV fluid so I can see with my UV torch where the oil is coming from.

Then, when they arrive, jack the car into some stands and have a close look with the torch.

My very uninformed feeling is the oil pan gasket on the underside of the engine may be leaking and require a replacement. Total stab in the dark though. How much work does that involve?

What does everyone think of my analysis so far; have I missed anything? Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom