W203 c180 non kompressor running issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdh-syorks

Car
2002 W203 C180 2.0, 1988 W201 190e 2.6, 1993 VW Polo G40
Hi, this is my first post on here and i was wondering weather anyone could give me some advice on my car which hasnt been running properly for about 6 months,
the car is a 2002/52 plate c180 2.0 manual, which i have owned for the past 8 years
im not sure exactly what engine it is but ill take a photo and post it on here i think its a m111.
i also changed the mass airflow 2 years ago.

The main problem started when i was on my way to the coast, when i slowed down and came to a stop (when clutch was pressed) the car tried to stall and then it would correct its self, with the clutch still pressed i touched the throttle and it did exactly the same again, tried to stall. when i tried setting off there was no power under load and the car would struggle to move, i had to fully open the throttle full just to pull away.

It does this every so often. also the power id a little down.

I have had it plugged into star and no current or existing faults came up, they told me the car was fine.

Yesterday whilst picking the missis up the engine management light came on, i plugged in my code reader last night and got mass air flow fault.
after reading a few threads on here i decided to check the breather pipe and noticed it had split, i ordered a new one straight away but have to wait while thursday to collect, i have used a piece of machine hose from work as a temp fix and car ran a lot better but this evening as i was pulling onto our street the car went into limp mode and esp not available came up on the screen, i switched off the car and waited a few minutes before firing it back up, when it started it was fine, no errors or malfunctions,
could my temp fix hose (which is slightly twisted due to no 90 deg bend) have choked the engine???

please help me as its starting to :wallbash::wallbash: me a little

Kind Regards Tom

It could be a crank position sensor fault. I'd ideally replace the hose first and see if it still has the same fault but from what you're saying, does it do this while the engine is warm and then if you turn it off and turn it back on the fault disappears?

Last edited:
Hi NW_Merc thanks for reply, it does it whenever it wants hot or cold, sometimes when i fire it up first thing in the morning i get the idle speed control valve symptom where the revs bounce sometimes stalling, not always tho only sometimes.

Kind regards Tom

p.s a pic of my engine with temp fix pipe fitted

DSCF0028.jpg

If you've had the car checked and it says MAF fault. I'd change the hose and check it again. MAFs are fairly delicate and on the M111 engine is quite a common problem. However, dont go changing things as an inkling to a fix as it could turn out expensive.....

My guess would be either the MAF or the crank sensor.....

I very much doubt th crank sensor.

Check for: oil in the engine loom
Oxygen sensors are working correctly (live data on Star)
Throttle flap is clean
Breather system is clear
Air mass values are good (star)

Thanks for the reply's, the new hose came Thursday so i thought i'd run it a little before i posted on here saying everything was ok,
I instantly noticed the revs stopped dropping when i dipped the clutch and it felt like the car had a lot more power (more responsive), it was and is running fine but this afternoon as i was coming down the M1 the engine management light came on again. when i stopped at the bottom of the slip road the car slightly struggled to set off again, the car still has more power than before tho. i haven't read the code yet but i recon it'll read mass air flow as it did 4 days ago.
BlackC55, when my car was last tested on star i was told all the live data for mass air, lambda and injectors was fine and nothing wrong at all, only thing i was told which is really hit and miss was to replace the cat.

ill take a look at the butterfly tomorrow and give it a clean, its starting to look like i'm gonna have to invest in a new mass air meter and a new cat. :-(
Cheers Tom

It looks like an M111 engine to me. Run it without the exhaust for a very short loud run. It may be a blocked cat.

problem fixed (for now), i replaced the top breather hose and reset the engine management fault, so far so good, i was thinking the cat cant be blocked otherwise it wouldnt rev up properly, which it does, so if it comes on again its new mass air sensor,
thanks for your help guys

Right, the engine management light did come back on,
i removed the top off the throttle body and noticed the butterfly was seriously ****ted up, i used nearly a full tin of carb cleaner and also sprayed some with the engine running.
after lots of smoke i replaced the top onto the throttle body and cleared the engine management light.
that was 3 weeks ago and car is still running fine. the symptoms of the idle speed control valve has also gone (bouncing revs on start up).

i can safely say this topic is now SOLVED.

Thankyou all for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom