W203 C180K 2005 Dampers/Spring Refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chimp400

Car
C180 K
I’d like to get some new dampers and maybe springs too whilst I’m in there, I don’t want to lower the car.
Is it best to stay oem equivalent for the parts?
Ideally it would be nice to buy a quality complete kit of springs dampers and top mounts But I’m not sure these are available.
Thanks in advance.

If you want to maintain the ride quality stick with OEM parts from MB. It's notoriously difficult to match the original spring rate anywhere but MB.
You may be pleasantly surprised on the price from MB

If you want to maintain the ride quality stick with OEM parts from MB. It's notoriously difficult to match the original spring rate anywhere but MB.
You may be pleasantly surprised on the price from MB

This ^^
I spent an absolute age working through the parts catalogue and then ordering them from Autodoc.
For reference, using Sachs shocks and springs and Lemforder mounts cost around £500 in parts.

Ok thanks both.
Do they use Sachs dampers as oe?
if I leave the springs as they are and just go dampers and top mounts is it still best to go to mb?

Yes but I'd strongly recommend doing both together..

All the MB-branded dampers that I have seen in the past 40 years were made by Sachs.... but this is not to say that they don't use other manufacturers as well, I do not know

All the MB-branded dampers that I have seen in the past 40 years were made by Sachs.... but this is not to say that they don't use other manufacturers as well, I do not know
Imagine the horror when I saw the monroe sticker on the front shocks on the 212 E63 🙈.

I’d like to get some new dampers and maybe springs too whilst I’m in there, I don’t want to lower the car.
Is it best to stay oem equivalent for the parts?
Ideally it would be nice to buy a quality complete kit of springs dampers and top mounts But I’m not sure these are available.
Thanks in advance.
I Put 4 sachs dampers on our W203 earlier this year. Left the springs as they were ok. It’s A 320 cdi on 95k with now and absolutely pristine.

I Put 4 sachs dampers on our W203 earlier this year. Left the springs as they were ok. It’s A 320 cdi on 95k with now and absolutely pristine.

I think you might regret that for the fronts as for what springs cost and how prone they are to breaking I would have definitely swapped them unless recently replaced.

Ok thanks both.
Do they use Sachs dampers as oe?
if I leave the springs as they are and just go dampers and top mounts is it still best to go to mb?
The ones that were fitted were Sachs with MB part numbers.

Is there an easy way to tell if it has standard or sports suspension?

From the datacard or enquire at you dealer parts department using the VIN

On another note.... given that your car has the M271 engine.. you might want to get the timing gear replaced - or at least checked (if not done already) - before investing in the car. Sadly, at this age, timing gear failure has the potential of writing the car off, so it's a good idea to sort this out or get it checked before replacing the dampers and springs.

Thanks for all the advice, tried mb for the parts and they want over £1000 for the bits which im afraid isnt going to happen.
The springs are not too badly priced but the dampers are expensive.

I think you might regret that for the fronts as for what springs cost and how prone they are to breaking I would have definitely swapped them unless recently replaced.

The ones that were fitted were Sachs with MB part numbers.
Springs were replaced 2 years ago with mb originals

Just following on from this, we purchased the springs from mb but went for Sachs dampers from Euro car parts which I’m sure are correct.
we are not able to compress the springs enough to do the install, this is with a decent stand mounted spring compressor.
Is there a special spring compressor for this?
seems as if the top mount needs to be compressed with the spring to get enough damper through the top mount.

Have a read here..

Thanks for the link but does not make it any clearer to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom