W203 C180k & C200K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Currently looking at the above for a friends wife, looking for the estate variety, can anyone tell me if the Valeo rad issue affected these cars and if so what were the years and Chassis number ranges? I thought I had seen it on a thread somewhere but can't seem to find it using the search function. I also seem to remember something about the radiator tank crimping was the way to identify a Valeo rad :dk: Also any other pointers on these cars much appreciated.

Cheers
Ian

Ian, check for rust.

If you search for a manual, you need not worry about they type of radiator.

They go through track rod ends; but that`s a drop in the ocean compared with the Valeo issue. :eek:

W210

Just to double check after reading the links in this thread, am I correct that the Valeo rad problem did not affect the W210's?

Just to double check after reading the links in this thread, am I correct that the Valeo rad problem did not affect the W210's?

It did not affect them. 211's yes, badly. 210's nope.

You'll have rust to contend with on those.

If you are considering a 210 I might suggest the henious thing of looking at E39 BMWs. Not without their issues but very nice cars

It did not affect them. 211's yes, badly. 210's nope.

You'll have rust to contend with on those.

If you are considering a 210 I might suggest the henious thing of looking at E39 BMWs. Not without their issues but very nice cars

Strangely enough also looking at the E39 need a short term replacement (12 months or so) for the Volvo which will be going end of November.

What are the isues on the E39 would appreciate the heads up on anything

Thanks Steve

Strangely enough also looking at the E39 need a short term replacement (12 months or so) for the Volvo which will be going end of November.

What are the isues on the E39 would appreciate the heads up on anything

Thanks Steve

Automatic gearboxes and turbo's on the diesels. BMW operated a sealed for life policy on the transmissions (GM and or ZF IIRC) and the turbos were prone to going (1st gen of the high performance diesel).

The youngest of these cars is now 7/8yo and the lack of maintenance on the autobox's will be beginning to show.

A petrol manual would be a wise bet and a brilliant car actually. Nice 528i or 530i.

The VANOS system is usually reliable but can be ££ to fix and in my BMW days I did hear of the odd head gasket requirement on 3.0i X5's but this was at major miles and the tell tale signs were obvious.

Estates can rust on the tailgates (seen it on several ones) as well as on the boot, front arches and rear ones to an extent. Usually though, they are not so bad as the Mercs.

Actually, who am I kidding, they really aren't bad for rust and are nice motors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom