W203 C180k MAF Errors - Be aware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calm9076

Hi MB owners. I've just resolved a problem on my W203 coupe which might me of interest to other W203 owners. ODB Scanner was reporting the usual P0171 and msisfire codes so like most people I rushed out and brought a Bosch MAF (£230!). Replaced the MAF but still no better (rough idle and poor acceleration). I took the airbox off again today and had a good look around and found a vacuum pipe had perished under the airbox. Quick fix (i.e. cut of the perished bit and re-attached) and all is good :thumb:

The chap at KMS told me that sell s*#t loads of W203 MAF's!!!...Well they would if the scan tools point to the MAF.

If you want to save yourself a hefty bill and buying bits you don't need please PM me and I will give you some pointers on checking this vacuum lead.

I suspect this will prove to me a common problem as the rubber hose sit's in a very hot and mucky location and prone to wear under these conditions.

Pretty poor design to be honest. MB should have substituted the cable for a different material.

Any chance you could send me some pointers ,I have just started removing my MAF for the expensive maybe waste of money replacement same kind of problem as you rough idle and gutless performance and low mpg
and just came across this post .got me thinking and holding back on the maf
I also have the following fault codes

P2029 mixture format self adapt ion fuel trim

P2054 camshaft adjuster

Could I be experiencing the same problems? if only i could get the bloody air box off to have a look :mad: .any clues!

Can any one help me on any info on these fault codes

W203 c180k coupe 02

Thanks a Lot

Sam
[email protected]

replacing just the Bosch element of the maf is much cheaper than changing the whole thing - from memory mine was approx £60

Well i need some help! Can you tell me on my C200 kompressor (W202) the points of vacum? Thank's

All code readers can only tell you what they see, not what caused them to see what they saw if that makes sense?

Lynall

We do loads of these breather pipes. Very common issue.

Hi sir,
I have a similar problem on my 2004 C180K. The code that i got is P0172 and miss firing of plugs 2 & 3. I had this problem 3 weeks back and it self cleared. However just after I had her serviced with new plugs, air filters etc, the light came on again. I really appreciate your help pse.
B regards
Raj

Any chance you could send me some pointers ,I have just started removing my MAF for the expensive maybe waste of money replacement same kind of problem as you rough idle and gutless performance and low mpg
and just came across this post .got me thinking and holding back on the maf
I also have the following fault codes

P2029 mixture format self adapt ion fuel trim

P2054 camshaft adjuster

Could I be experiencing the same problems? if only i could get the bloody air box off to have a look :mad: .any clues!

Can any one help me on any info on these fault codes

W203 c180k coupe 02

Thanks a Lot

Sam
[email protected]
It might be worth checking the plugs at the engine ECU to see if there is any oil in the loom . This is a common fault with the 2l kompressor engines in the 210 .It is caused by oil getting in the loom at the CPS and passing through the loom to the ECU . It can cause random faults with the MAF and other engine components

calm9076
Hi sir,
I have a similar problem on my 2004 C180K. The code that i got is P0172 and miss firing of plugs 2 & 3. I had this problem 3 weeks back and it self cleared. However just after I had her serviced with new plugs, air filters etc, the light came on again. I really appreciate your help pse.
B regards
Raj

The missfire maybe due to defective coils etc. You need to have it properly diagnosed really

I had it diagonised today and the code was P0172. The mechanic told me that the breeder hoses may be leaking. The idling is eractic but once on the move everything is fine. Could it be a problem with the vacumm hose beneath the air box. I would like to look at the hose but need some directions on how to remove the airbox and any other item to get to the hose.
Appreciate your reply sir.
Thks
V Raja

The airbox is a bit fiddly to remove. Tou need to undo two torx bolts holding it down. Remove the spring clip holding on an intake pipe at the back and then slide the box towards the back of the car.

Just to clear my confusion. Can I confirm that the airbox that we are talking about is the compartment that houses the air filter.

Well I had a right wasted weekend scratching my head trying to remove my airbox,to check the vacuum pipes very close to using a hammer on it! my patients was running thin how the bloody hell do you get the air box off a w203 c18 coupe
the best I can do is remove the air box cover then remove the filter remove two torxs top of the MAF that connect to the airbox.
No idea how you get to the bottom one out, I can only see one torx that may hold the airbox on and that's in a plastic tube on the the Maf housing
is it really that difficult, can anyone help.

sampit

Havent a clue! but on mine its held onto the inner wing by rubber grommets and to remove you simply give it a good tug, when refitting grease the rubbers makes it easier next time.

Lynall

Thanks calm

You have Just saved me a fortune as my vacum pipe was split clean in halve

happy days!

Hmm, any chance this would apply to a 208? Mine is suffering from poor acceleration (like none at all if I floor the accelerator, nearly got me into serious trouble when overtaking yeasterday :( ) and rough idle .... but this is only when I've tried to accelerate hard. If I'm gentle, I don't have any problems and can cruise at 80-90 OK.

All ready to replace the MAF unless this could be a similar problem??

could VRAJA say how he got on - his symptoms are exactly the same as mine !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom