W203 c180k timing chain progress - breaker riveter tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

King03sh

Car
Ford focus cmax
So iv finally had the time to make some headway on the timing chain of my sport edition c180k.

I have removed the s/c, alternator, aircon, PAS, and water pump, and crank pulley, along with the upper timing cover.

Also managed to remove the engine bay wiring harness and have all replacement parts on order from mercedes at a cost of £1900, including wiring harness, upper and lower chain, tensioner, guides, crank sprocket, cam adjusters and a few other misc parts.

Next up I have several questions for the community. Trying to source the chain breaker/riveter for the m271 engine for a reasonable fee. The lazer tools one looks great and is probably the best option but I cant really justify over £400 for a tool I will likely use once. Im finding a lot of kits that are listed as compatible but further down say "m271 with additional parts" but do not list the parts or offer them for sale. I have found the CTA tools 1095 set which doesn't list m271 as compatible, just says single and double row benz gas and diesel engines. However listed in the pdf available from the manufacturer it they have the anvils listed as oem number 271 589 01 63 00 which I believe is the part I will need?

Also I have read through the documents from WIS kindly posted on this and other forums by helpful members, regarding replacement of the timing chain. All of which show a "wedge" that comes in the timing kits cheaply available online, but do not show what or where they are to be used?

Any help much appreciated as I am unable to make any further progress removing the front timing cover until I have the chain broken and the cam adjusters removed.

Pictures below for attention.

IMG_20210507_115943_25.jpgIMG_20210507_115952_25.jpgIMG_20210507_140436_25.jpgIMG_20210507_140442_25.jpgIMG_20210507_140446_25.jpg

You could buy the £400 tool from Lazer , use it and stick it on Ebay for £300 "only used once" , take £300 for it . It's a £100 hit but better than not getting the chain link rivet right.
Admittedly it could gather some dust on Ebay but it would sell to someone somewhere at some point as the cam chain issue on your engine is widespread.

Just a thought.

You could buy the £400 tool from Lazer , use it and stick it on Ebay for £300 "only used once" , take £300 for it . It's a £100 hit but better than not getting the chain link rivet right.
Admittedly it could gather some dust on Ebay but it would sell to someone somewhere at some point as the cam chain issue on your engine is widespread.

Just a thought.
I had thought about that, of course there is also the option of keeping it and renting it out for a fee to group members or offering a reasonable price timing chain replacement etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom