W203: C200 Retrofit Pioneer AVIC Headunit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPD

Car
W203 C200 Coupe, Nissan Navara Aventurer Pick-up towning Fifth Wheel Trailer.
W203, 2002, C200 Kompressor Coupe

I intend to install a none Mercedes Pioneer AVIC-X1 Navigation/DVD head unit (single din) in place of the standard radio/cd player currently mounted in the centre consul of my W203. Obviously the Pioneer will not be connected to the CanBus. I have purchase a new 2 din facia to enable the unit to be mounted but I'm not sure how to remove the old audio system and facia. Can anybody advise this procedure? Also is the Speed pulse signal wire present at the back of the OEM audio system and if so what colour is the wire? Thanks.

install

hi there i have installed a x1r, you need to get the power from the passengerside wiring loom and the speed pulse from the driver kick pannel(light green and light green/whitestripe), can remeber the whole procedure but i have a note of it in my install book which i will look up later send me a pm in a few days to remind me regards.

as far as the fascia dismounting you should find if you perform a search a link to a how to instruction, I saw something but actually I could find out the link, sorry.

I've installed an avix X1R in my previous 202, speed pulse was on the ISO connector behind the radio, but on 203 you probably need to better check, but assuming that factory radio (at least my audio 10) come equipped with adaptable volume feature I belive the same speed pulse signal is available.

Please better check to avoid damage

there is about 4 locations the speed pulse can be taken from, the best place is the drivers kick pannel as it has a better signal, i have tried all the locations using the a speed pulse device and as stated the best place is the drivers foot pannel, ive had my x1r for 2-2.5 years and it is very accurate with no problems what so ever.

Cheers guys, your advice is much appreciated

I originally had the X1 installed in a Navara pick-up that I have just recently sold. My new D40 pick-up has the Nissan "Birdview" Navi system and believe me its not half as good as the AVIC-x1! In fact I think its far superior then the Navi command system (I'm an Ex S-Class owner).

Anyway I have decided to install it into my wife’s C200 Coupe. I'm not concerned about installing the unit I just need to make sure I can find my way around behind the dash and identify the appropriate wires as follows:

- Side lights wire (for screen auto dimming).
- Hand brake wire (Set-up lock, easy to find)
- Reversing light feed (not sure what tins is for)
- Speed pulse
- Main Supply
- Aux supply etc
- Finally – The Harness currently fitted to the standard audio system.

Thanks again, John

Cheers guys, your advice is much appreciated

I originally had the X1 installed in a Navara pick-up that I have just recently sold. My new D40 pick-up has the Nissan "Birdview" Navi system and believe me its not half as good as the AVIC-x1! In fact I think its far superior then the Navi command system (I'm an Ex S-Class owner).

Anyway I have decided to install it into my wife’s C200 Coupe. I'm not concerned about installing the unit I just need to make sure I can find my way around behind the dash and identify the appropriate wires as follows:

- Side lights wire (for screen auto dimming).
- Hand brake wire (Set-up lock, easy to find)
- Reversing light feed (not sure what tins is for)
- Speed pulse
- Main Supply
- Aux supply etc
- Finally – The Harness currently fitted to the standard audio system.

Thanks again, John

Hi there
The screen (I take its the x1) has the auto dimming on top of the screen (the navi wont show night mode!), handbrake wire is easy if you want to have picture in motion just add it to the ground wire on the head units loom (black). Reversing light feed is a neat trick! If you like me have a reverse camera, this enables you to view the camera in the navi mode and when reversing is selected it appears over the screen! for the speed pulse I had to add a can-bus adaptor to get the speed pulse feed which was about £70, it has loads of extra feeds on it as well for the reversing handbrake ect, and that enabled me to got the correct speed pulse from the drivers side kick panel. the Mercedes system is set-up to recognise its own devices and when an external devise is added it wont send the power-up, the way round this is to get the power, ignition live from the passenger side sill right in the middle of the door, and run this to the head unit over the factory loom adding the power to the connector on the x1, I don’t think you need any adaptors for the cars plug as its a standard iso plug. Hope this helps, I did my install a few years ago, but if you need any more help drop me a line and ill check it out on my own car.

Thanks again Merc Man for all your expert advice, I’ll let you know how, if, it turns out OK.

I have actually fitted 2 AVIC-X1 units over the past 4 years! 1 in my motor home and as stated above, 1 in the Navara so I should have remembered all the wire functions! I'm a long way from home at the moment working in West Africa so I had to depend on memory as to what the functions of each wire were, obviously some brain cells have moved on since I last fitted one!

I intend to install the unit as soon as I get back to blighty later this month.

Cheers

John

Hi there
I had to add a can-bus adaptor to get the speed pulse feed which was about £70, it has loads of extra feeds on it as well for the reversing handbrake ect, and that enabled me to got the correct speed pulse from the drivers side kick panel. .

merc man

Above you stated you needed to fit a can-bus adaptor! I guess by this you mean that if my C200 has speed adaptive audio volume adjustment the speed pulse signal should be present at the connector servicing the MB audio system currently fitted?

Also you state that you “had” to fit the adapter! Was this because the signal was to low?

If I need to purchase a can-bus adapter where would I be able to get hold of one and where in the can-bus network did you connect it?

Sorry for all the questions but when I start installing the unit I would like to ensure I have everything planed.

merc man

Above you stated you needed to fit a can-bus adaptor! I guess by this you mean that if my C200 has speed adaptive audio volume adjustment the speed pulse signal should be present at the connector servicing the MB audio system currently fitted?

Also you state that you “had” to fit the adapter! Was this because the signal was to low?

If I need to purchase a can-bus adapter where would I be able to get hold of one and where in the can-bus network did you connect it?

Sorry for all the questions but when I start installing the unit I would like to ensure I have everything planed.

Hi there
The avix x1/r/bt have only 1 pink wire for the speed pulse signal and the w203 has a can-hi and can-low so therefore it is impossible to connect just the one wire to get a speed pulse, you need the adaptor to convert the can signal to the digital signal that gets output on a single wire, also the speed pule on the mercedes is weak at some points and therefore as mentioned it need to be taken from the drivers kick pannel,there are two wires that give a very weak speed pulse at the back of the factory loom but this is not ideal as the signal is really weak and is very limited.
i got my adaptor from soundlinx for about £70,hope this answers some of the question any thing else let me know

Cheers merc man, you’re a gent.

One thing though! I may be getting my "Ws" mixed up! My wife’s C200 Coupe is a "2002" model and after looking at the soundlinx website I discovered that pre 2004 C Classes are designated W202 and not W203 as originally stated? Am I correct in this assumption? As I said in an earlier post I'm currently in West Africa and can’t check the documentation and after all, it is my wife’s car (that’s my excuse for being ignorant anyway).

After discussions with Soundlinx I have finally sorted out what I need, I'm going for the CAN03BUS to enable the Speed Pulse signal to be acquired from the Can-Bus. The unit also enables the following inputs to be acquired from the Bus system. Costs a little more than I thought at£129!

Speed Signal Output (12V pulsing 1Hz = 1mph approx)
Parking Brake on output, 0V (ground with parking brake on
Lights on output, 12V when side/head lights are on
Ignition on output, 12V when ignition is switched on
Reverse Engaged Output, 12V when reverse gear is selected

Thanks Again Merc Man and 1998K for you help resolving this issue.

I actually work on Rolls Royce thruster control system (Ships Azimuth Propeller controls etc) and the whole system is controlled by Can-bus so I should have known better.:rolleyes:

After discussions with Soundlinx I have finally sorted out what I need, I'm going for the CAN03BUS to enable the Speed Pulse signal to be acquired from the Can-Bus. The unit also enables the following inputs to be acquired from the Bus system. Costs a little more than I thought at£129!

Speed Signal Output (12V pulsing 1Hz = 1mph approx)
Parking Brake on output, 0V (ground with parking brake on
Lights on output, 12V when side/head lights are on
Ignition on output, 12V when ignition is switched on
Reverse Engaged Output, 12V when reverse gear is selected

Thanks Again Merc Man and 1998K for you help resolving this issue.

I actually work on Rolls Royce thruster control system (Ships Azimuth Propeller controls etc) and the whole system is controlled by Can-bus so I should have known better.:rolleyes:

No worries i think its the same box that i have,mind you the price is a little steep, do you want me to check with the lovley lady at soundlinx? as i think she sorts me out with a discount for being a 'nice' customer! the box gives you all the options you need, let me know and ill find out the current price on saturday,
I got to admit at first i hated Can-bus systems but when i started working on then it is amazing! saves time,stripping running wires ect, and the whole syetm communicates with each other so you can add stuff in the boot and link it to the front with out any extra wires! optical comms is the next logical step!

w203 and w202 is a diffent systems. w203 is can-bus on d2b while the new w203 (2004+) are on the most system which is more advanced. if you need any more help just drop me a line.

do you want me to check with the lovley lady at soundlinx? as i think she sorts me out with a discount for being a 'nice' customer! the box gives you all the options you need, let me know and ill find out the current price on saturday,.

Thanks once again for your advice and yes, I would appreciate your offer of you "sweet talking" that lovely lady at soundmix and charm her in to offering some discount for me.

As stated in one of my previous mails my Nissan Aventurer pick-up has the " Xanavi Birdview" navigation system fitted as standard (also Can-Bus) but I must admit I'm very disappointed with it so far, (I do miss the post code search) I would say there is only about 90% of the UK roads actually mapped on the DVD with several minor roads not listed. My 2001 S320 cdi's comand system was far superior but the AVIC is outstanding. (I can’t believe I sold my S-class to by a bleeding Pick-up and fifth wheel caravan:crazy: )

I take it your running your AVIC on the CNDV-60M DVD?

ill pop round to the place first thing tomorow and let you know when i get back in, with my avic x1r i only have the 50m disc i would like to get the 60m discs copies or originals, but cant seem to find them or they are just too expensive, and i've heard some copies are duds and don not fuction properly and some do. regards

I successfully copied a few 60 discs last year from one I borrowed from a Pioneer dealer (shush). They are a bit of a problem as the 60 disc is double layered with about 7.6 GB of data. I will attempt to make another one for you if you want and post it to you when I return home at the end of the month?

hi there i went to the place yesterday but the lady that i normally deal with was not there as she does not work weekends, ill be going past that way tomorow morning and will ask again, and let you know when i get into work, if you could do the copies for me that would be great! if theres any costs just let me know and we can sort something out. regards sanjay

Thanks mate. That adaptor should be fine, but it says from 2004 onwards so i take it, that its for the most system, ill double check this for you as well tomorow, should be compatible as its the speed signal you are after. ill dig out the manual i got with the adaptor and see whats what. regards sanjay

Sanjay

When you say 2004 on did you get that information from the Soundlinx site? Because if you did this is where I got confused over W202 and W203!

MERCEDES C Class W202 -- 2001 to 2003
MERCEDES C Class W203 -- 2004 to now

I thought the W202 went out of production in 2000? Soundlinx may have some typing errors on the site because I wouldn’t have thought the W202 did not have can-bus at that period.

Should it not read:
MERCEDES C Class W203 -- 2001 to 2003

However, my preferance is still for the CAN03BUS because of the other inputs described in previous post but , and I mean BUT in capital letters, the price just may swing me towards the one on e-bay!

John

Last edited:
Sanjay

When you say 2004 on did you get that information from the Soundlinx site? Because if you did this is where I got confused over W202 and W203!

MERCEDES C Class W202 -- 2001 to 2003

I thought the W202 went out of production in 2000? Soundlinx may have some typing errors on the site because I wouldn’t have thought the W202 did not have can-bus at that period.

Should it not read:
MERCEDES C Class W203 -- 2001 to 2003

However, my preferance is still for the CAN03BUS because of the other inputs described in previous post but , and I mean BUT in capital letters, the price just may swing me towards the one on e-bay!

John

You are spot on, that’s how it should read as the w202 does not require the adaptor as my cousin has an alpine navi, in his w202 and did not need the adaptor and was a straight wire tap in to the signal at the back of the odometer. if you go to the website using this link it will take you to the product info on the EBay adaptor:
http://www.soundlinx.co.uk/ProductFinder/default.asp?productCode=Can01Bus

And the can03bus is:
http://www.soundlinx.co.uk/ProductFinder/default.asp?productCode=CAN03BUS

The can03bus is out of production for some strange reason and does not have a listing for the w203, but to be honest the eBay price is awesome but the best thing is that i check this tomorrow as I know for sure that the lady knows the correct adaptor for the car, as she has sold hundreds and has not failed me yet! I know that a new can01abus is about to be released by soundlinx and ill find out if that’s any better for the connections you mentioned. If you look closely on eBay the adaptor still has the price on it (£119.95) so its been sold by a retailer and not soundlinx!

when I open the Pandora’s box later on tonight ill locate the manual and that will show me the complete listings for the various modules, and I also have diagrams of the connection of each car that I have connected a module to so that I had a reference in future, as I was able to make the reverse, illumination and the reverse connections with out too much difficulty.

hope this answers some questions for now, ill have a better answer for you tomorow, regards sanjay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom