W203 C220 CDI Decat EGR delete?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ainsley

Car
W203 C220 CDI
I know this has probably been asked a million times before, and I did a quick search but only found out bits from the bigger engines.

Any how,

I am thinking of decatting the Derv, can has anyone done this on these? I am lead to believe it has two cats on these. I rang up about having it done and the garage told me removing both could make it quite smokey?? I have had a TDI in the past and after just a decat it became a completely different car, and that was with only one cat on it and removed. if I need to keep one on would it be more beneficial to remove the one hugging the Turbo??

and anyone fiddled with an EGR delete in the past too? these usually just foul up the inlet manifold over time right?

Just want to see what peoples thoughts and experiences are on these?

Thanks.

Ainz

Absolutely. First point to remember is a decatted car is illegal.

But anyway yes to all the above but essential to get your car tuned to suit.

EGR delete ask your tuner to close the egr duty cycle maps and kill all associated egr error codes. Then check on the diagnostics it is closed.

By decatting the car to run perfectly the turbo duty cycle map (amongst others) should be adjusted to suit.

ultimately though your car will be quieter, smoother and stronger as well as provding more mpg.

Absolutely. First point to remember is a decatted car is illegal.

But anyway yes to all the above but essential to get your car tuned to suit.

EGR delete ask your tuner to close the egr duty cycle maps and kill all associated egr error codes. Then check on the diagnostics it is closed.

By decatting the car to run perfectly the turbo duty cycle map (amongst others) should be adjusted to suit.

ultimately though your car will be quieter, smoother and stronger as well as provding more mpg.

Cheers for the reply.
Apart from the legal aspect of it, the pros seem to outweigh the cons.
I'll post back after I get it done then :)

Pretty sure it's not illegal to decat a diesel. You'd certainly have to declare it to your insurance though.

Hello, I have not long took ownership of a w209 2004 270cdi CLK, It`s brilliant compared to my old b7 A4 Tdi. The only problem is the exhaust has rotted away on the joint between the back box section and the front section which has the Cat on it. I`m not too sure if there is another cat before that one as its all covered by a plastic tray. I have been advised that this problem is due to the water coming out of the Cat and finding its way through the joint hence rusting the flange and the bracket on the joint. I have made a temp fix for the moment with a sleeve and two brackets. Now comes the question, I want to replace the system with a stainless one and i am tempted to remove the Cat as i know it will give more power but also have other benefits mentioned previously. My question is: would i have to change anything on the car (ECU, programming, etc) if i removed the Cat? ..or would it be a simple process and just drive away with a de catted car? I know the MOT will be fine as it`s a diesel, i just don`t want to enter a world of problems just because i took the Cat off.
Any answers would be gratefully received
Thanks
Andrew.

Last edited:
Hello, I have not long took ownership of a 270cdi CLK, It`s brilliant compared to my old b7 A4 Tdi. The only problem is the exhaust has rotted away on the joint between the back box section and the front section which has the Cat on it. I`m not too sure if there is another cat before that one as its all covered by a plastic tray. I have been advised that this problem is due to the water coming out of the Cat and finding its way through the joint hence rusting the flange and the bracket on the joint. I have made a temp fix for the moment with a sleeve and two brackets. Now comes the question, I want to replace the system with a stainless one and i am tempted to remove the Cat as i know it will give more power but also have other benefits mentioned previously. My question is: would i have to change anything on the car (ECU, programming, etc) if i removed the Cat? ..or would it be a simple process and just drive away with a de catted car? I know the MOT will be fine as it`s a diesel, i just don`t want to enter a world of problems just because i took the Cat off.
Any answers would be gratefully received
Thanks
Andrew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom