W203 c220 cdi - P0299 error code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markswlondon

Car
W203 C220 CDi
Morning guys, I’m new to this; just purchased a 2004 plate C220 CDi last week.

Been driving it very gently for the whole time I’ve owned it. Put my foot down yesterday, got to about 40mph and the car felt sluggish, clearly no turbocharger, I then get an engine management warning light.

Stuck the OBD2 code reader in last night and get a p0299 error code - which was turbo charger under boost. I will be calling the dealer this morning when he gets in to see what he says. I can see them weaselling out of this. I only went for the statutory 3 months warranty and upon closer inspection of the documentation, turbo is not ticked as one of the loadings / options.

I wander if the dealer will refuse to investigate as he may say turbo is not covered; surely he has a statutory obligation to investigate in the first instance?

Before I take it back, is there anything obvious I should check? I get the feeling that this fault was on the car already and the dealer turned off the error code but there is no way of telling.

I have a feeling that this is going to burn my pockets. !! I have fallen in love with the car so i hope this incident doesn't sour things!

thanks in advance for any comments / suggestions!

Low boost pressure is usually caused by a boost leak via a split hose

The underside of the hose entering the intake is the obvious point to look

That fault code doesnt come up o my star machine as its a generic code

It could be a number of things but could well be a split turbo pipe which is quite common on these engines.

The hose i would look at is the top right and hose that goes into the intake.

How did you get on with the dealer today

That fault code doesnt come up o my star machine as its a generic code

It could be a number of things but could well be a split turbo pipe which is quite common on these engines.

The hose i would look at is the top right and hose that goes into the intake.

How did you get on with the dealer today

My obd2 code reader is quite basic but I was glad it only gave me one code. I understand if their are multiple codes it can muddy the water; at least that is what the dealer said! I'm taking it in tomorrow morning, so I will see what they say!

Is the turbo located under the main a filter? Access is really tight if it is. I can barely see / feel that 2 / 2.5 intake pipe.

Yeah they give generic codes that dont always tally up with what i have on my star machine.

The pipe im on about is if your standing at the front of the car looking at it. There is a rubber pipe near the front of the engine. Just in front of the cooling fan.

This one is prone to splitting.

If you look at the picture you put up in your other post.

Just in front of the power steering reservoir is a silver part. There is a hose connected to it. This is the one im on about.

If you look at the picture you put up in your other post.

Just in front of the power steering reservoir is a silver part. There is a hose connected to it. This is the one im on about.

Just took off that pipe and its in very good conditioned, no splits at all. I new notice there was oil carry over. Does this point to a problem with the turbo itself or would you say it is normal. The vain at the top is free to move but the connector at the bottom of that hose seems to have a fair bit of oil in there, I've added a couple of pictures.

staticmap

Attachments

• image-2096746724.jpg
    image-2096746724.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image-840953285.jpg
    image-840953285.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 85
Doesnt look too excessive to be honest from the pictures.

Not too sure what the map is for lol

Really needs to go on a star machine to see whats going on with it.

Morning guys, just dropped it off at the dealer.. He said he'd get it looked in to today.

What should I look out do wen I collect it re the turbo. I don't think I can hear it working from the drivers seat. When should I feel it on acceleration? As you can probably tell, I've never own a turbo diesel! I could be driving round totally oblivious to the fact the turbo isn't working. One thing I should point out is that I don't think it's in limp mode, the revs are not limited.

Whatever happens with the dealer, I think I'm going to ask around on this forum for someone to hook up their STAR system to check everything is working as it should. Worth shelling out a few quid for that and piece of mind!

Well a sure sign would be that when you put your foot down the eml doesnt come back on.

What part of london are you in. I would be more than happy to give it a check over for you.

Well a sure sign would be that when you put your foot down the eml doesnt come back on.

What part of london are you in. I would be more than happy to give it a check over for you.

I'm in colliers wood but work in Ealing during the week.

The dealer called and said that the garage that looked at it said their were 10 error codes when they looks at it. What is confusing is that I had only one code showing ( my reader is very basic but would it really miss 9 error codes?). He said they reset the codes and did a road test which he said was good. Are they spinning me a load of BS?

Some generic code readers do miss codes but i wouldnt of thought that many.

It maybe ok when he road tested it as it may have only gone out for a 2 min test.

I would get it back and you drive it and see what you think. I would also ask him to list all the codes for future reference. This way you will know if he is feeding you bs.

Managerd to get the telephone number off the dealer of the garage they used. Unfortunately the garage didn't print the codes off! He is using the snap on code reader with the 2013 update. He remembered a few of them though: the low boost one I had, EGR valve, heater control module, low voltage, camshaft and crankshaft sensor. He couldn't remember any more. My mind boggles now as to what the issue could be!!!!

What he did say is that he has cleared all the codes and then i will have to drive it until another error pops up. They can then find what is at fault. Im going to put some miles in this weekend to try and get the errors up again!

Are you mobile Andy or would i need to come to you mate?

Yeah the snap on stuff isnt fantastic. We helped with the software development for smart cars on the snap on stuff and even the guy we was working with admitted their machine cannot do half the stuff the star machine can do.

You have both options i can come to you or you can come to me. Which ever is easiest for you.

Yeah the snap on stuff isnt fantastic. We helped with the software development for smart cars on the snap on stuff and even the guy we was working with admitted their machine cannot do half the stuff the star machine can do.

You have both options i can come to you or you can come to me. Which ever is easiest for you.

Andy,

Just picked up the car, drove it for 30 ish minutes, did a few hard accelerations. No warning light so far. I'd like you to hook up your STAR system. Is it worthwhile waiting for the light to come back or will you get good information as it is now? How much would you charge to come look at it or at yours? So you need an email address or number to let me know? Thanks.

What i would do is drive it for the next few days and see if the eml comes back on

I have an email address in my signature if you want to contact me via that to sort out me coming to have a look

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom