W203 - C270CDi vibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rory

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model) - Bought 2005, Sold 2022.
I might be going mad here, but I've become aware of a very subtle vibration through my car.

First noticed it immediately after service and thought it was maybe that the dealer had dropped the pressures on the All Season tyres and I was picking up their extra "coarseness".

However I then realised that it does it at idle too - you can feel it in the steering wheel and just about through the pedals and seats.

I'm 99.9% certain it wasn't there before service - I've had a good look, but could something be bridging between the engine and transmission and the rest of the car?

First thought is engine and gearbox mounts.

Mine too (after searching) - but I've read it's pretty binary, once they fail the engine moves a lot.

They can fail, as in burst and collapse. They can also weaken, soften and allow the engine to sink slightly, usually on the one side due to torque thrust. This can give rise to gradual and sometimes intermittent vibration. The alignment between engine and transmission goes and feels rough.

How many miles have you done?

How many miles have you done?

85000. Although I think things like this tend to go with age more than anything else. It has suddenly started to feel old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom