W203 C32 AMG - Check Battery / Alternator

Discussion in 'Engine' started by blackscooby, Oct 13, 2011.

1. blackscooby

blackscooby Active Member

Car:
    W203 C32 AMG, Honda VFR Vtec, Peugeot 205 GTi rally car
    Hello folks,

It's a long time since I've been around these parts, 2 nicely running W203's means that I don't really frequent as much as I should.

How that has just changed !
    Last week the serpentine belt idler pulley was making a racket.. to be fair it's been grumbling for a LONG time but rather than fix it as it wasn't a major issue I ignored it.. to my error.

Last week mrs was driving the AMG and the steering went dead heavy, smell of rubber and a light came on the dash saying "Battery / Alternator Visit workshop".

The long grumbling bearing had given up the ghost and ceased. Anyways cut a story short...
    Water pump, idler and pulley were replaced and got the car back last night.

However the garage (Indy) have left the car with the bloody error "Battery / Alternator visit workshop" and even put the error on my sodding invoice saying it needs investigation... WTF !!!

Any ideas on what would cause this ? Hoping not a buggered alternator as I've already for a bill for about 600 notes.

Much appreciated.

2. OP
    OP
    blackscooby

blackscooby Active Member

Car:
    W203 C32 AMG, Honda VFR Vtec, Peugeot 205 GTi rally car
    One interesting theory after speaking to others.

The error is displayed on the screen as soon as you put in the key. Surely it has to be a issue which needs to have it's fault code cleared manually... rather than transient faults (washer fluid etc).

How would it know the Alternator wasn't working... that engine isn't running!

Just a thought...

3. Gaz74

Gaz74 Active Member

Car:
    C32 AMG
    Go back to the indy and ask them to clear the fault code. I mean, that's the reason the car went to them in the first place!

4. Alex Crow

Alex Crow Active Member

Car:
    S210 320cdi
    Sounds like either debris from the belt, or possibly coolant have damaged the alternator, the garage may well be free of all blame, hard to guess isn't it?

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

Car:
    E270 Avantgarde Estate
    The message will clear by itself - when my alternator went and replaced with a good one the message cleared.

If the alternator does need replacing you can try replacing the regulator or getting the alternator fixed but in my experience this is only short term. CAFCO sourced me the correct valeo part - there is also a hella alternative. Total cost was £240. They did originally try and give me a bosch replacement which their system said was a direct replacement - it isn't. If you go down this route I'll dig out the correct part number.