W203 C32 "COOLANT VISIT WORKSHOP!" message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EspritSE

Car
C32 & C63 AMG
Ok so the ML is fixed, now it's the C32's turn.

I have an issue with my W203 2003 C32, the main problem is a "COOLANT VISIT WORKSHOP!" message and the radiator fan is not working. I have been using the car with this message for a couple of months as I have had not had the time to look at it. I am a shift worker and don't encounter any traffic on my journey to work.

I'll try and be as brief as possible with this explanation: :)

The car was off the road for about a year and was put off the road fully serviced and working well, I had just put a new battery in it. Every few weeks I was starting the car and letting it idle till it warmed up, then switching it off. On one occasion I went out and found the battery was completely flat I started it with jump leads and didn't give it much more thought. Once I started using the car again the coolant message came up and I also noticed the comand system (radio) was not switching off when I removed the keys. The steering wheel buttons also stopped working the volume etc. These two things happened at the same time so wonder if they may be related..... The rest of the car is working as normal.

The coolant level is not low and I have checked the supply to the radiator fan (12.7v) at the plug with each other and to ground, I do not know how to check the two other small wires.

I have attached screenshots of the diagnostic error codes from front and rear SAM's, engine and instrument in the hope that someone can point in the direction of where to go next. There was a load of historical error codes relating to low voltages which I cleared then I took the car out and this is the error codes that remain. The modules that are being scanned are identified at the bottom of the screenshot.

Engine C32.jpg

Front SAM C32 .jpg

Instrument C32.jpg

Rear SAM C32.jpg

Probably bad form replying to my own thread, being an old guy I'm not sure of the protocol. It may be of some use to someone with the same fault.

Radiator fan fixed. It was uh..........the radiator fan, who'da thought. :) Bought a used bargain basement fan (£29.99 delivered) on ebay yesterday afternoon, arrived this morning from Englandshire! COMMAND/head unit still not switching off and on with the ignition or responding to the steering wheel buttons. Using the same logic as the radiator fan the COMAND unit is goosed. Although I'm not so keen to buy another COMAND unit just to hear Ken Bruce and Quizmaster.

I'll have a look at it once I've finished papering the spare room. :)

Probably bad form replying to my own thread, being an old guy I'm not sure of the protocol. It may be of some use to someone with the same fault.

Radiator fan fixed. It was uh..........the radiator fan, who'da thought. :) Bought a used bargain basement fan (£29.99 delivered) on ebay yesterday afternoon, arrived this morning from Englandshire! COMMAND/head unit still not switching off and on with the ignition or responding to the steering wheel buttons. Using the same logic as the radiator fan the COMAND unit is goosed. Although I'm not so keen to buy another COMAND unit just to hear Ken Bruce and Quizmaster.

I'll have a look at it once I've finished papering the spare room. :)
It’s not bad form - it’s good practice in my book. Well done. On the command unit replacement if you’re thinking about that, it’s probably the one thing I’d go ‘aftermarket’ on eg Carplay unit from JVC(Kenwood) etc with integrated steering controls (there’s another UK based aftermarket company that sells the wiring harness for the power and steering wheel control integration). Happy papering.

On the command unit replacement if you’re thinking about that, it’s probably the one thing I’d go ‘aftermarket’ on eg Carplay unit from JVC(Kenwood) etc with integrated steering controls (there’s another UK based aftermarket company that sells the wiring harness for the power and steering wheel control integration).
C32s usually have the BOSE system which uses fibre optics and means you need to rewire the entire audio system if you want to switch to aftermarket

Thanks for the replies,

Just to clarify, Ken Bruce is coming through loud and clear and all of the comand functions appearing to be functioning ok. The head unit is working on it's own, if I want to switch it on I have to lean over and press the on button after I start the car. The head unit does not switch off after I remove the key without pressing the on/power button. The buttons on the steering wheel have no effect on the COMAND unit.

If you look at my original post you will see Control AAC errors on both front and rear SAM's.
Can anyone tell me what the control AAC is? Is it the comand/head unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom