W203 C32 estate rattling tailgate / bootlid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elite_504

Car
W205 C200 SE EE estate
Folks, a little advice please. Te tailgate on my c32 estate has always been a little rattly. I pulled the trim from the lip and moved the lock ("loop"/ Hasp/ striker) in about 3mm. It made a difference and I left it at that. However a couple of people in the car grumbling inspired me to take another look.

I moved the chassis loop in again another 3mm, and then "all the way", but I could still rattle the boot a touch by pulling it. So, I pulled the trim on the lid itself, and moved the actual lock mechanism itself as far out as it would go. Now it needs a firm closure to close it. If you gently let it drop, it only locks to the 'first stage' and needs a push to get it closed the rest of the way. But upon driving it, it still rattles a touch.

All the pipework in the tailgate itself for the washer is sound (and additionally clipped). The wiring is secure, its definitely rattling at the lock.

Anyone got any suggestions? There seem to be two sprung angled blocks in the lock mechanism, two kind of guideplates. Are these meant to press hard on the tailgate and resist rattly movements? They don't appear to be doing much. I'm considering putting some little machined MTFE plates in these a couple of mm thick to see if that helps, but i thought I'd ask the experts first!

Ah, that could be a good call.
The holder isn't the stiffest thing in the world....

Doh, You've sorted it. Adjusting the lock defo made a big difference but the last bit was the numberplate rattling in the holder. I cut a 4" piece of 15mm plastic water pipe in half lengthways to make a firmly sprung 15mm arch shape, and popped this behind the plate holder to gently load the fixings. Quiet as a church rodent. .. .

I don't know how to add that little <SOLVED> thingy to the tile of the post. . . sorry. .

Apologies for jumping on this thread so late in the day - but how did you manage to pull the trim that surrounds the lock striker?

My lock striker is loose and rattling (it's a W203 estate also, 2005) and I've removed the 4 screws that appear to attach the trim to the lip of the boot (2 in the middle, 2 at the far end of the trim on either side) - but it won't budge. Now it maybe that I just need to use a bit of brute force but I wanted to check if I was missing a trick before I broke something. Any advice really appreciated.

Lots of press stud thingies hold the trim on. I had to get advice and be brave. Plastic trim wedges help. If a clip does break, each one iirc is replaceable.

I had a slight rattle as well, just saw this thread, popped out and sorted it.

Nice one!!

Folks, a little advice please. Te tailgate on my c32 estate has always been a little rattly. I pulled the trim from the lip and moved the lock ("loop"/ Hasp/ striker) in about 3mm. It made a difference and I left it at that. However a couple of people in the car grumbling inspired me to take another look.

I moved the chassis loop in again another 3mm, and then "all the way", but I could still rattle the boot a touch by pulling it. So, I pulled the trim on the lid itself, and moved the actual lock mechanism itself as far out as it would go. Now it needs a firm closure to close it. If you gently let it drop, it only locks to the 'first stage' and needs a push to get it closed the rest of the way. But upon driving it, it still rattles a touch.

All the pipework in the tailgate itself for the washer is sound (and additionally clipped). The wiring is secure, its definitely rattling at the lock.

Anyone got any suggestions? There seem to be two sprung angled blocks in the lock mechanism, two kind of guideplates. Are these meant to press hard on the tailgate and resist rattly movements? They don't appear to be doing much. I'm considering putting some little machined MTFE plates in these a couple of mm thick to see if that helps, but i thought I'd ask the experts first!

Hi from spain.

I have the same problem.

I don´t undertand what loop need to move in (the botton clamp in the car), or i need to move out the lock at the trunk door.

Can you explained to me in not technical english?.
one photo can help to me. :(

Best regards.

The loop that catches the lock, also look at the rubber stoppers, from memory i think they can be adjusted slightly too.

Attachments

• c class catch.jpg
    c class catch.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 28
Thank you.

Best Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom