W203 c320 cdi Alternator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simmon01

Car
E 270 CDI gone, W211 E280 cdi, W211 E320 cdi, W203 C320 cdi
55 reg .320 cdi alternator dead.
Evening all, after 4 hours in the wind & rain I still can't remove the alternator or reach the voltage regulator fixings. I've removed the fan & shroud, practically everything from the front of the engine, inc hose from header tank to water pump and turbo hoses.
What looks like an a/c pipe which I certainly don't want to remove is in the way and also the bracket that the two top alternator bolts screw into.
Turning alternator to try and see from underneath I don't see any obvious screws or bolts holding the VR cover on. Am I missing something here please?

Cracked it. It's a Valeo and the dust cover simply pulls off with a bit of gentle persuasion. The brushes are practically nonexistent. New VR from Mercedes £76 ish.

55 reg C320 cdi 642 engine.
I read through so many posts on this very helpful forum and sometimes wonder what happened in the end. When I replaced the voltage regulator the copper slip rings were badly worn. I thought about it for a day then ordered a Valeo kit to replace slip rings, bearings and brushes for less than £15 on eBay. I did install the Mercedes voltage regulator and the alternator does now charge correctly but when then new brushes fail as they undoubtedly will, I will be ready to dive in and remove the alternator, this time by removing the water pump. Won’t hurt to replace that at the same time, hopefully in a warmer time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom