W203 C320 no power, no codes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

krisby

Car
W203 C320
When I got the car 10 days ago, when the fuel was low the first night, when I went out it spluttered for a couple of seconds then cleared itself, for the past week, its been a dream. Had an oil, oil filter and fuel filter change on Friday.
Drove 80 miles on the motorway yesterday, never missed a beat, went out for dinner last night, no problems, drove out to the shops today, carried for a walk and some lunch, then on the way home decided to get petrol from my usual garage, it was kind of low, the light came on just as I pulled into the petrol station.
So chucked super in, started up all fine, drove 50 metres to the road, went to pull out, no power, no response to throttle pedal, car shook, then came to life, tootled down the road very slowly, got to some lights, thought it was ok, but then coughed again and kid of bunny hopped across the junction, nearly stopped on other side, then it came (semi) right again, carried on driving, anyway, several near stall moments, no power, car shaking for the 1 mile home.
Left car to sit for 10 minutes, then went back out, seemed ok, then after 20 or so seconds, started faltering again, no malfunction thrown, my code reader came up with nothing. Lifted bonnet, engine smooth again, then started coughing and shaking, like a misfire on 1 or more cylinders, but again, no codes, no EML.
Had a quick google and similar issues sound like a CPS, but as I am not getting a code it's hard to determine if that is correct.
Any other ideas before I start freaking out?
One thing to note, is that both times this has happened has been low fuel, just odd how the first time it cleared itself in a couple of seconds, but this time it is more persistent.

You need to take it back to the dealer if that is where you bought it from. Then it needs to be connected to Star and driven to acquire live data,

My local indie has Star, so I will take it to him anyway, the yard I bought it from is 35 miles away, atleast then if there is a major problem I will have some ammo.

Was hoping for some insight from peoples experience though, I like to go prepared and atleast waylay any fears I have.

Was the air filters replaced on the service

NOpe, I checked them myself last weekend, a little dirty, but nothing major, was going to get some new (maybe performance) filters soon, but then as I said, the car had been fine until I refuelled.

There really is no point in guessing, get the car diagnosed with Star and get the print out to take to the selling garage,

Checked the car again, this time after about 15 seconds the car starts getting lumpy, nearly stalls, revs blip to about 2000rpm, then it drops again, fights the stall, then stalls.
Threw a malfunction for the first time saying battery/alternator something something. Turned off and repeated. Got my phone and plugged in diagnostics, this time got codes P0300, P0301, P0302 and P0304, but then I know its a misfire, so not that useful.
So that will help narrow it down, but of course it means I am unable to drive the car to my mechanic now, I just hope he does house calls and can bring Star with him.

If you bought it from a dealer then I would be insisting that they arrange for it to be picked up, diagnosed and fixed. Letting someone else carry out the diagnostics may not sit well with the supplying dealer in terms of any repairs required.

No, it was a private yard, and i would prefer that as well, but I am wanting the quickest fix here, I commute via car to work every day, so I just need it sorted ASAP, if I leave it with a yard to sit around with their fingers up their backsides it will be too much of an inconvenience. I have however just emailed them telling them of what has happened and warned them some hefty bills may be coming their way and that dependant on the Star results, I may be invoking Sales of Goods Act and demanding a refund.

What is a "private yard"? If they are trading then they are a trader.

If they are trading then you have some consumer protection, what you cannot do is just unilaterally "invoke the Sale of Goods Act" and demand a refund. There is an expectation in law that the car has to be fit for purpose unless it had the faults described or that you could and should have reasonably been aware of them, you must though, give the dealer a chance to fix the fault, you cannot have the car repaired and expect them to just roll over and pick up the bill without their prior and written consent,

I know, I meant I would be utilizing my rights under the Sales of Goods Act, with the refund being my last resort.

In regard to private yard, I meant a trader, I know what trader means, but you said dealer, which they are not, as that in my mind means affiliated with a manufacturer, i.e. MB.

looks like it might be the fuel pump. My guy was only seeing about 2bar in STAR and reckons it should be high 3s low 4s. He is taking it out for a bench test to verify first, then will replace and hopefully we good to go again.

I said fuel pump in my last post, of course, it is fuel "pumps". Had both replaced, apparently bosch now offer modified units, so even if one had been ok, both were still needed as the wiring was now different (and mercedes only sell as a pair too).
Total bill was £508, that including the diagnostics, so whilst it is a big whack, I'm happy with that. Barry said someone passing noticed the car and the rear seats out and work being done on the tank, so he asked what the story was, apparently this guy said his wife has the same model and had her pumps replaced at Merc a few months ago, total bill was £1200, yikes! Realized going independent is the way forward.
So for anyone else that may experience this issue, it does not throw a code, though it may throw a battery/alternator malfunction on the dash, this is due the insufficient fuel being delivered and the SAM unit having a hissy and shutting down the engine.

I know, I meant I would be utilizing my rights under the Sales of Goods Act, with the refund being my last resort.

In regard to private yard, I meant a trader, I know what trader means, but you said dealer, which they are not, as that in my mind means affiliated with a manufacturer, i.e. MB.

Trader and dealer are pretty standard and interchangeable terms, car trader, car dealer etc, Franchised or Main dealer would, to most specify one affiliated to the manufacturer, "yard" is not a usual term, at least I have never heard anyone use it before.

Glad it is sorted, has the supplying dealer, trader (insert as appropriate!) offered to cover the cost?

I said fuel pump in my last post, of course, it is fuel "pumps". Had both replaced, apparently bosch now offer modified units, so even if one had been ok, both were still needed as the wiring was now different (and mercedes only sell as a pair too).

2 pumps?
I thought 1 side of tank was a pump and the side the sender/level unit?
The plug/connector has been modified from original, It may have been possible to find a NOS part.

Glad you are up and running again.

Joe

semi result, selling garage agreed to pay half the bill, I guess I will getting the benefit so fair enough, I just wish I had said atleast 3/4 contribution rather than ½.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom