W203 C320 Performance Lacking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

izools

Car
W211 E55 AMG
So I have recently acquired a 2000 reg C320.

Has 114K miles, and a full dealer service history.

I've found the performance a bit odd... I don't know if it's a characteristic of how the autoboxes and throttle responses work on them or if it's an actual fault - I've come from an E39 BMW 5-Series.

I find the acceleration to be pedestrian (for a 3.2 V6, that is) unless I really put the hammer down and it then rather lumpily downshifts and eventually flies off like a rocket.

There doesn't seem to be a middle ground between pedestrian and full on acceleration. I think I've performed the reset on the autobox, the characteristics did change a little and MPG decreased but still have the rather uncomfortable throttle response.

Just the way it is or a fault?

Last edited:
I haven't driven one for several years but owned a 2002 C320 a few years ago. There was, like most Mercs, a centimetre or so of travel before anything happened, and this may be something you're experiencing. The car should feel lively but quite laid back, but it had god performance and the auto gearbox was very good and a good combination with the engine.

I'd suggest getting someone with a diagnostics kit to take a look at yours - it doesn't sound right to me. If you do get it sorted you'll have a great car - I loved mine. Good luck with it.

Its not set to W instead of S is it ?. Just a thought. T.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah the gearbox is in summer :)

I've ordered from eBay everything needed for a very full service - all the filters, 12x NGK Platinum plugs, 6L of 0w-40 oil (Castrol Edge Sport - half the price of Mobil 1), autobox filter, gasket, and 8L of the correct ATF.

And an IR thermometer. Oh and the autobox dipstick.

I'll have a fun day next week! Never done the ATF on an auto box before...

Last edited:
Right I can be more specific on the symptoms now...

If I put the hammer down the car revs to the red line and you can feel it trying to change up

And failing

I had this in a BMW E39 5-Series and shortly thereafter the gearbox was totally unserviceable and the car went to Webuyanycar.

It changes up OK under lower revs though.

I'm changing the ATF later in the week when the fluid and gasket arrive so hopefully it will work out OK and I'll save it before it kicks the bucket.

I hope to god that none of the clutch packs have had it...

Well I've changed the ATF, filter, and gasket and its working well now :)

Changing up at high revs without issue.

Weirdly only 3L of fluid came out of the gearbox and sump, I was expecting far more, and put the same back in (at temperature) and the dipstick reads over the level...

I will however invest in a better dipstick as the one I have is all metal, no plastic gauge.

Read on how to change the oil on the 210 forum - will show how to bleed the torque convertor. Doing it the coreect way you will use about 8 litres of oil. So you have only changed less then 50% of your oil.

I understand that unfortunately I don't have a bleed plug on my torque converter. They removed it in 1999 and re-added it in around 2006/7.

I have to say though that even though less than half has been changed the difference is immense, changes are smoother, no issues changing up at high revs, and it picks up just as you'd expect a 3.2 V6 to :)

Ah wait - I see, by disconnecting the oil line to the radiator.

Wish I'd read that beforehand. As it is though the thing is running so much more smoothly I'm going to go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" moniker :)

The acceleration hesitation seems to be a MAF issue according to the ODB2 codes.

I have some contact cleaner and MAF cleaner so will see it that sorts it out.

Doesn't surprise me, when I changed the air filters there was basically an entire deceased wasps nest in the air box! And some bits were on the wrong side of the filters.

Hope I don't have to get a new MAF, genuine ones are quite expensive...

Id put my money on the MAF judging by your symtoms, they are around £60 from MB.

EDIT: Just seen your last post.

Id put my money on the MAF judging by your symtoms, they are around £60 from MB.

EDIT: Just seen your last post.

Really only £60? A MAF sensor for my Volvo S60 was knocking on for £250 just for the part!

Yep, 6 months ago that was the price of mine IIRC.

Give your local MB dealer a call (make sure you have your VIN number handy).

Get the MAF from Euro car parts. The diesel mafs are cheap. The petrol's are not. £160 ish.

That's interesting, it was a diesel MAF on the Volvo S60 (2.4 D5) that was close to £250 - I managed to get one for the C320 new off eBay for £37 as the cleaning didn't work :(

It is aftermarket though and I've heard a lot of bad things about aftermarket MAF sensors, so we'll see... Worth a punt though, right? What's the worst that can happen? It breaks so I send it back. Simples ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom