W203 C320cdi giving me back ache

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswt

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
Had my 2007 W203 320cdi Sport since December and I'm not particularly overwhelmed. Performance and ride are great ut thats about it.

The biggest problem is back ache after driving the car, more specifically the aggravation of my sciatica.

1. The floor mounted accelerator pedal is very heavy and requires quite a push before it gets moving in stop start traffic. (reminding me of a 97 C280 W202 I once test drove)

2. The 'creep' due to the autobox is such that I really have to put some pressure on the brake pedal to stop it creeping forward

3. Coming off the accelerator in stop start traffic causes the car to jolt to a stop rather than to coast to a stop which then requires a stab of the throttle to get the car moving again.

Before I get any obvious posts in reply these observations are made in direct comparison to the equivalent BMW or Audi (and every other auto I've owned except one) which have far more responsive controls by contrast.

Is there possibly something not quite about the car which may have a simple solution?

Any sensible help would be appreciated ;)

Is your's the 7 speed box? The jolt to a stop etc aren't to do with some kind of brake hold are they?

The engine and box in mine are different (5 cyl engine, 5 speed box) and I don't recognise those driving traits at all. However I've always got lower back pain in my car and never suffered it in any other car. I drive with a rolled up towel at the base of my back.

Is your's the 7 speed box? The jolt to a stop etc aren't to do with some kind of brake hold are they?

The engine and box in mine are different (5 cyl engine, 5 speed box) and I don't recognise those driving traits at all. However I've always got lower back pain in my car and never suffered it in any other car. I drive with a rolled up towel at the base of my back.

Thanks for that and yes it is the 7 speed box.

I used to drive with a back support (much like a rolled up towel) haven't had too since about 2009 but I may well have to go back to it though.

The pedal should not be heavy at all. Infact MB's with a electronic pedal have a light pedal.

The pedal should not be heavy at all. Infact MB's with a electronic pedal have a light pedal.

I'm probably not explaining it very well but they are not heavy like a 70's sports sports car but heavy over use in stop start traffic much like a light object becomes heavy when held at arms length for a period of time.

Also the creep and apparent engine braking aren't helping.

Mercedes pedals do have some weight to them but nothing excessive. Compared to a BMW the brake and go pedals are firmer, but the steering lighter.

The jolt is that 7g.

The siatica aggrivation won't be the driving characteristics but the seats themselves.Have you tried raising the driving position. A legs out driving position can cause back ache, try raising the seat and reclining the back rest a little to compensate for the loss in headroom. This will take pressure off your back.

Try also adjusting the lumbar support. The whole of your back to your shoulders should be in contact with the seat, as well as your legs upto an inch before the back of the knee.

You should be able to turn the wheel 180 degrees with your shoulders on the seat back without shifting forward and your wrist should be able to reach the top of the wheel with your shoulders still in contact with the back of the seat

Mercedes pedals do have some weight to them but nothing excessive. Compared to a BMW the brake and go pedals are firmer, but the steering lighter.

The jolt is that 7g.

The siatica aggrivation won't be the driving characteristics but the seats themselves.Have you tried raising the driving position. A legs out driving position can cause back ache, try raising the seat and reclining the back rest a little to compensate for the loss in headroom. This will take pressure off your back.

Try also adjusting the lumbar support. The whole of your back to your shoulders should be in contact with the seat, as well as your legs upto an inch before the back of the knee.

You should be able to turn the wheel 180 degrees with your shoulders on the seat back without shifting forward and your wrist should be able to reach the top of the wheel with your shoulders still in contact with the back of the seat

Thanks for the info.

Although its the seats that cause back ache in most cases my siatica is bought on by leg movement as well. Its the reason I can't have a manual gearbox in my everyday car. The constant clutch in and out in rush hour traffic was a killer when I used to borrow the wife's motors.

I managed a 9 hour drive back to London when I picked the Merc up from Scotland and I was in no pain whatsoever but currently 40 mins in London rush hour and I'm aching.

However you are right that the seats are probably just as much to blame. I will have more of a play with the seats but they have fairly limited electric moment and I have no lumber support adjustment.

Are you to far from the pedals. You should have your legs bent at an angle no greater than 120 degrees ideally, and be able to fully depress them without shifting in your seat.

If you get the posture and driving position right, you'll have done everything right and maybe then only after all that, maybe the car is not for you

*** said:
Are you to far from the pedals. You should have your legs bent at an angle no greater than 120 degrees ideally, and be able to fully depress them without shifting in your seat.

If you get the posture and driving position right, you'll have done everything right and maybe then only after all that, maybe the car is not for you

I'm normally good at getting the right driving position but it certainly needs more exploring.

The brakes on the car might need attention as its started juddering slightly under heavier braking so that might account for needing more pressure on the brakes.

Will certainly try everything before taking extreme action like swapping it for something else. Although any excuse to search autotrader and pistonheads of an evening!!

Juddering under braking. Check the discs....

The Volvos seem to have a good reputation for seating. I found on longer journeys the seats in the 211 better than in the 204. Same driving position but get minor aches after a very long run and in the E it could sooth back ache out!!!

When I first got my CLS I had some problems with the seat - or rather my body didn't like the new driving position. Was fine for first 2 weeks but then I had a few weeks where any journey over 1hr was causing me lower back pain. I noted similar comments from other E class and CLS owners and adjusted the seat around until I felt happier (more reclined backrest worked for me)....and ever since it has been great. In fact, I'd probably say it's the most comfortable car I have owned now.

I strongly suspect the seating. I always ended up with some pain after a long journey in our W203's and find that if I get the setting wrong my ankle I particular will be very painful by the end of the day.

Mercedes should be ashamed that they allowed a premium car to leave the factory without lumbar support.

No help to you, but the orthopaedic seats make a world of difference.

Juddering under braking. Check the discs....

The Volvos seem to have a good reputation for seating. I found on longer journeys the seats in the 211 better than in the 204. Same driving position but get minor aches after a very long run and in the E it could sooth back ache out!!!

I had a Sabb 9-3 Aero about 6 years ago and the seats were fantastic, the level of support and comfort they offered hasn't been bettered yet and this was when my back problem was worse.

I strongly suspect the seating. I always ended up with some pain after a long journey in our W203's and find that if I get the setting wrong my ankle I particular will be very painful by the end of the day.

Mercedes should be ashamed that they allowed a premium car to leave the factory without lumbar support.

Long journeys are ok as long as its not in heavy traffic but I've been adjusting the seat and steering this morning to try to make a difference.

As for Orthopaedic seats I would be driving around perched on one now if C55's did 40mpg!!!

My E320 is an old lady, but does 40 mpg in comfort. Not as fast as a C320 though...

I found the height of the front of the seat, hence the angle that my leg leaves the seat to be critical.

That they offer different seats (there are 'comfort' seats on some models) seems to me to be an admission that the standard seats aren't very good. Maybe they did it on purpose so people would upgrade!

Had chronic back troubles (sciatica)for years ended up having two discs removed which has completely cured it. I also had Saab 95 before op and their seats were fantastic. But try sitting nearer the steering wheel that helped me. If all else fails think about getting a Recaro seat fitted. They have excellent support and come highly recommended by those that use them.Just google to get further info'.Also you can take them from old to new car !

Had chronic back troubles (sciatica)for years ended up having two discs removed which has completely cured it.

You lucky b**ger, I had a similar op almost 10 years ago but after it didn't really solve the problem. I think the physio and lumber injections I had a few years later helped more.

Do you think the NHS would stump up for a set of Recaros?? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom