W203 CDI 270 - Turbo Pipe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

latinofever

Car
Mercedes C Class - C270 CDI
Driving home in the fast lane I experienced a bang followed by a cloud of white smoke out the back. I then lost power although the car could be driven. I believe it went into LIMP MODE. Could only get up to 80mph max....

Anyway looking under the bonnet when I got home I notice that a large black pipe appears to have popped out. Not sure if its split. I believe this is the Turbo inlet pipe ( Can anyone confirm the name of this pipe so I can order a replacement if required?) I also noticed under the pipe there appears to be a lot of oil. Not sure if this is a different issue.

My question is. Do you think this pipe could be swapped by an amateur or does it need to go into a garage. Does the car need to be dismantled to swap it or can it be swapped by leaning over the car? Not sure if anyone has any instructions on how do do this.

Attach 2 pics

One PIC shows the pipe that popped out. Have now re-secured using original cantilever clamp. Appears pipe was NOT damaged.

2nd pic shows a component Im concerned about as a lot of Oil can be seen around it. Not sure if this is a separate issue.

Appreciate any comments..many thanks

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 207
  • oil_leakage800600.jpg
    oil_leakage800600.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 189
as far as i know it was the radiator pipe that come off thats what caused the white smoke it would have anything to do with that oil
the turbo is on the other side of the engine
you need to conect that pipe again and fill up you radiator again do not drive it until you get the water back in

i mean it would have nothing to do with the oil on pic 2

That pipe split on my car last Christmas. I got a replacement from the local Mercedes main dealer's parts dept and fitted it myself...easy job took 5-10mins max.

I described it to the parts dept as the pipe between the intercooler and the manifold and they seemed to know what I was talking about. To be on safe side, I showed them the old pipe just to make sure.

PS The pipe is for air not water and it it possible that the oil is connected to the pipe coming off....I seem to recall some oil spray around the split in the pipe on my car.

Last edited:
The pipe carries Air indeed and as soon as I re-connected my Turbo came back into life. After resecuring with cantilever clip the car is now driving as normal. Took it up to normal cruising altitude on motorway and seems to be fixed. Maybe the pipe was dislodged when I had Aircon guys replace my Condenser a week ago.

Still a bit concerned about the oil on that other component. Anyone aware of what that oily components job is?

Did the pipe come off at the top end or bottom? If it was at the top I think that it is where it connects to the EGR valve and if you stick you finger in it you may find the source of the oil and much other nice stuff. Hope it all works out OK

as far as i know it was the radiator pipe that come off thats what caused the white smoke it would have anything to do with that oil
the turbo is on the other side of the engine
you need to conect that pipe again and fill up you radiator again do not drive it until you get the water back in

Its not a rad pipe. It is a boost pipe.

They often split too. There is a seal on the pipe which will be causing the slight oil weep. Replace the pipe as it comes with a new seal. They are very straight forward to do. Just unclip it.

By the way, the pipe costs about £50 if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom