W203 CDI Weird Noise when accelerating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ammurad

Car
Mercedes C220 CDI
Hi folks. I am new to this forum and have just inherited a W203 C220 CDI merc.

Unfortunatley though, i have discovered a slight problem. When i accelerate (in gear) there is a funny noise coming from the dash, i would decribe it almost like the sound you would get from speaker interference. It gets louder the faster i go.

When the car is stationary, the sound is not there. Even when i rev the engine at stationary, the sound is not there.

Does anyone know what this is and why it happens? The only other issues with the car (and i dont know if these are related), ESP warning is on and handbrake does not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

One possible guess:

on these cars they had an issue with a clip breaking that holds the handbrake cable up above the propshaft... so as the propshaft spins it makes a funny noise through the dash area....

So could be related to your handbrake issue.,. if its been there a while it could have eaten through the cable..

ESP is most likely seperate and needs plugging in.

Agree with Jaymanek re dash noise, MY 270CDI had same noise traced to same clip under heat shield.
As for parking brake, mine didn't work either but got a dodgy MoT. I'm told that there is a way of moving the shoe adjusters through one of the wheelnut holes but it's not worth it. Lining area can fill with brake dust and make brake ineffective or the linings can either be adjusted or replaced.

Thanks guys. I will check it out. Is the heat shield nearer the from or back of vehicle?

Hi . I had the same problem and it drove me nuts !!! Turned out to be the handbrake cable rubbing off the prop shaft as it rotated. The longer the problem lasts the worse it gets cos the friction eventually goes through the plastic covering and on to the metal hand brake sheafing. The clip that is broken is under the mid section of the car. It's worth asking a friendly garage to put up on ramps as it's million times easier to remove the cover. Buy some really strong cable ties and that should hold it. You'll also find an improvement in your hand brake as it is retained where it should be. Thanks

Witsend said:
Agree with Jaymanek re dash noise, MY 270CDI had same noise traced to same clip under heat shield.
As for parking brake, mine didn't work either but got a dodgy MoT. I'm told that there is a way of moving the shoe adjusters through one of the wheelnut holes but it's not worth it. Lining area can fill with brake dust and make brake ineffective or the linings can either be adjusted or replaced.

You have to carry wheel chocks if parking brake doesn't work ,or should stay off road

Sadly it was not the cable on the prop shaft. Any other ideas? I heat shield vibration?

Thanks for you help guys. Turned out it was the handbrake cable on the prop shaft. The garage mechanic had been too lazy to take the heat shield off, its not always obvious..
Nevertheless sorted now!

For those that have attempted this at home - is it possible to remove/loosen the heatshield enough to get access without removing the exhaust centre section? I'm convinced this is what is causing the noise on mine now. Working out if this might be a quick job or one that'll involved grazed knuckles trying to get an exhaust apart!

You can usually undo heat shield, drop it down & slide it back,
If you do it when cold shouldn't be a problem, leave the exhaust on.

For those that have attempted this at home - is it possible to remove/loosen the heatshield enough to get access without removing the exhaust centre section? I'm convinced this is what is causing the noise on mine now. Working out if this might be a quick job or one that'll involved grazed knuckles trying to get an exhaust apart!

You dont have to take any part of the exhaust off. Just undo the shield and it drops down easily.

This might sound like a silly question, but which side of the car should you take the heat shield off of, drivers side or passenger side?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Nvm

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom