W203 Child lock?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by hairboy, Nov 12, 2013.

1. hairboy

hairboy Member

Car:
    2006 C220 CDI SPORT ESTATE
    I've been driving my 2006 W203 220 CDI estate for the last month or so, and it just occurred to me that I don't think it has a child lock? I thought the lock button on the dash was it, but the other day, my wife was in the back seat with our baby, and she managed to open it from inside, no problem.

Right now, our daughter is only 5 months old, but worry that it could become a problem in a few years time. Am I just missing the control, or is it possible that a family car from Mercedes comes without such a basic safety function as a child lock?

2. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    No electric / central child lock on w203...

Just the usual mechanical lever under the latch on the rear doors.

1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    hairboy

hairboy Member

Car:
    That, I am flabbergasted by. Buy a family car from Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot, etc, they all have child lock as standard. I move to a luxury brand, and no basic safety feature as child lock? It seems so unfeasible it didn't even cross my mind! To say I am not happy is an understatement right now :(

4. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Eh?

As above, it does have child lock - you use the lever on the door. Have you looked at the handbook?

1 person likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    hairboy

hairboy Member

Car:
    Oh, I get it. That makes sense now. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

And no, I haven't read 100s of pages of the manual, no. I've skimmed through a few pages, but I've been far too busy recently. TBH, I've never read a car owner's handbook, as everything has been pretty straight forward in all my other cars. MB seems to be rather different, I may have to start referring to that a bit more.

Thanks for your help.

6. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    We've got 3 kids (youngest is 5 now) and the child locks on the rear doors of the cars we've had them in (VW, Audi, and two Mercs) have all worked the same way :dk:

I'm not suggesting that anyone would just read the handbook cover to cover, but it takes seconds to look there if you want to find out about something specific. In this case it's in the index under 'Child-Proof Locks, Rear Doors'.

I did have to look up how to fit/remove the luggage cover on our S203 though ... never seen anything like that before :D

Hope you enjoy the car, we've had ours since July and very happy with it :)

7. OP
    OP
    hairboy

hairboy Member

Car:
    Really? I've been in our friends' Mondeos, Insignias, 406s, even Skoda Octavia, and they all seemed to have child lock that operated with a button. If what you say is true with VW and Audis (and indeed other Mercs), maybe I mistook them locking the doors with activating the child lock.

It would all make sense :doh: methinks I've learnt something new today :)

8. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Cost cutting during the late 90's early 00's for the W203.

W202s have a button on the centre console if pressed while the headlights are on, switches off the electric window button/backlight also.

9. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    I've never seen that (and I had a 406) - there's a button that isolates the rear electric windows, and the MB's certainly have that. I think probably you're correct and what you saw was them locking the doors - not many cars do it automatically (VWs can be set by the dealer but by default they don't autolock).

I set the child locks on daughter's Golf the other day and that was the usual twist lock in the edge of the door operated by inserting the key blade.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  10. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Don't confuse central locking with child lock.

Mechanical child lock is potentially dangerous for adults as it would prevent a passenger from exiting the car in an emergency.

Electric rear doors locking is dangerous for kids as it may not be deployed at all times and at any rate does not completely prevent the doors from being opened from the inside.

11. Diesel Benz

Diesel Benz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
    The button must have been for rear windows, not for the door locks? Most often the driver can disable electric rear door windows from a button.

Even on the S-class you cannot activate child locks from a button (you can deactivate them momentarily).

12. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    I read somewhere that electronic child locks were seen by some in the industry as potential death traps. I believe this after some accident reports showed that occupants had become trapped when the wiring melted or was damaged when the doors were deformed in an accident.

I personally do not like child locks (electrical or mechanical) for this very reason.

Having been trapped in the drivers seat of my X5 when it went up in flames after an accident it was a pants changing moment that I would not wish to repeat.

I have attempted to drill into my children's heads that opening the door or playing with the handle is not good or smart.

13. davidjpowell

davidjpowell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    This really. My Aunt & Uncle +family also had this issue (without the fire) due to child locks.

The cars with electronic locks tend to link it to the rear window isolator, and that's a problem with kids of different ages.

Couple of things I can confirm.

A car with these locks (an Espace), but with the lock not 'armed' makes no secret of it's alarm when the door handle is pulled at 70 mph. Lots of lights, lots of beeps.

Absolutely nothing happens. Door rests against it's bodywork. Child seat does not suddenly jump out of the car. Plenty of time to calmly stop, close the door and issue bollocking, prior to receiving bollocking from other half for not having pushed the magic switch, that she probably switched off.

Tags: