W203 Clicking from drivers footwell fan issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackscooby

Car
W203 C32 AMG, Honda VFR Vtec, Peugeot 205 GTi rally car
Hello,

Just today the C32 W203 started making a clicking noise below the steering wheel on engine start. It's a loud click to say the least which repeats about 5 or so times.

I suspect that it's the "flaps" in the vents which have stuck in the drivers footwell area. No matter what I can't get any airflow into the drivers footwell.

I video'd the noise and put it on YouTube...OK it's not the most exciting video ever, but it gets the point across !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elnA0gtUFiI

Anyone heard of anything similar... and the associated fix ?

Ta

Mark

Last edited:
Have a search on here for 'stepper motor' this is common failure on W203 cars. The plastic arm the moves the flaps snaps, resulting in the clicking noise from the stepper motor trying to open the flap.

Depending on which motor has broken, this is either an easy fix or a dashboard out job!!

If you can live with it then I wouldnt bother stripping the dash... only lasts for a few seconds on start up anyway.

Check out this link, go to post 18, he describes how to repair it yourself, he can do it in 45 mins, all this talk of 8 hours for MB technicians, dear me.

Noisy Air Conditioner ?? Stepper Motor Replacement / Clicking & Hissing - MBWorld.org Forums

I wonder how people here in the UK are getting this problem resolved as its obviously a common one, and its embarrassing when you get a mate into your 170mph AMG pride and joy and they hear that noise on start-up.

I have it and am still contemplating who to give my precious wonga to to resolve the situation.

hello as400, some of the arms can only be done with the dash out, but i find the most common failure - footwell flaps - can always be done without such major surgery, we may be able to do yours in 2 hours if you are interested in a trip to sunny suffolk.

Hi there im new to this forum, is there anybody on here that offers a service where they can repair the stepping motor issue, and stop the clicking sound from the dashboard. i only want to spend around £500. any help guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom