W203 Clicking from drivers footwell fan issue

Discussion in 'Interior' started by blackscooby, Oct 17, 2009.

1. blackscooby

blackscooby Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C32 AMG, Honda VFR Vtec, Peugeot 205 GTi rally car
    Hello,

Just today the C32 W203 started making a clicking noise below the steering wheel on engine start. It's a loud click to say the least which repeats about 5 or so times.

I suspect that it's the "flaps" in the vents which have stuck in the drivers footwell area. No matter what I can't get any airflow into the drivers footwell.

I video'd the noise and put it on YouTube...OK it's not the most exciting video ever, but it gets the point across !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elnA0gtUFiI

Anyone heard of anything similar... and the associated fix ?

Ta

Mark

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. azaman

azaman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E320 CDI Sport
    Have a search on here for 'stepper motor' this is common failure on W203 cars. The plastic arm the moves the flaps snaps, resulting in the clicking noise from the stepper motor trying to open the flap.

Depending on which motor has broken, this is either an easy fix or a dashboard out job!!

3. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    If you can live with it then I wouldnt bother stripping the dash... only lasts for a few seconds on start up anyway.

4. as400

as400 Active Member

Car:
    ML420cdi
    Check out this link, go to post 18, he describes how to repair it yourself, he can do it in 45 mins, all this talk of 8 hours for MB technicians, dear me.

Noisy Air Conditioner ?? Stepper Motor Replacement / Clicking & Hissing - MBWorld.org Forums

I wonder how people here in the UK are getting this problem resolved as its obviously a common one, and its embarrassing when you get a mate into your 170mph AMG pride and joy and they hear that noise on start-up.

I have it and am still contemplating who to give my precious wonga to to resolve the situation.

5. alexander patie

alexander patie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

hello as400, some of the arms can only be done with the dash out, but i find the most common failure - footwell flaps - can always be done without such major surgery, we may be able to do yours in 2 hours if you are interested in a trip to sunny suffolk.

1 person likes this.
  6. naz530555

naz530555 New Member

Car:
    clk 320
    Hi there im new to this forum, is there anybody on here that offers a service where they can repair the stepping motor issue, and stop the clicking sound from the dashboard. i only want to spend around £500. any help guys