W203 Clicking When Accelerating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrispy2005

Car
W204 C220 CDI
When I pull off from a standstill in my W203 I get what sounds like a clicking noise in the passenger footwell area. It's only there when accelerating and not at other times, does anyone have any idea what this is?

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help.

If an auto, is it possible that the 'clocking' sound is actually coming from under the gear selector (i.e. from the transmission tunnel and not from the passenger's footwell)?

Or... can this be related to the cabin air circulation? I think there's an actuator motor or such like in the ventilation system behind the dash that can start clicking when it fails. Not sure how this is related to acceleration though.

Purge valve for fuel tank vapour? I can hear mine on hard acceleration on a W202.

If an auto, is it possible that the 'clocking' sound is actually coming from under the gear selector (i.e. from the transmission tunnel and not from the passenger's footwell)?

Yes it is possible it's coming from there, what could that be?

Purge valve for fuel tank vapour? I can hear mine on hard acceleration on a W202.

It's not on a hard acceleration, it happens when I pull off my drive taking my time.

Is it when you have just started the car and goes after a few seconds? or does it come on each time you stop and then start?

Does it increase with engine speed or road speed? Ie louder our faster

I had something similar on a previous car, it was resolved by to a touch of grease on the gear lever mechanism (more specifically in my case - the bit that 'locks' the gear level in P when the engine is switched off). But it could also be down to a loose link or wear in one of the plastic bushes - I am talking in general terms though as I am not familiar with the W203 gear selector lever set-up. At any rate, if it is indeed coming from under the gear selector lever, then there's a play in the system which makes a 'clang' noise when starting and stopping due to acceleration and acceleration.

Does it increase with engine speed or road speed? Ie louder our faster

I don't think so, it last maybe 4 or 5 seconds and then it's gone.

I had something similar on a previous car, it was resolved by to a touch of grease on the gear lever mechanism (more specifically in my case - the bit that 'locks' the gear level in P when the engine is switched off). But it could also be down to a loose link or wear in one of the plastic bushes - I am talking in general terms though as I am not familiar with the W203 gear selector lever set-up. At any rate, if it is indeed coming from under the gear selector lever, then there's a play in the system which makes a 'clang' noise when starting and stopping due to acceleration and acceleration.

I don't get any noise whatsoever when i'm stopping, it's just that 4 or 5 seconds when I pull off.

Actually it's happening when i'm driving as well now. I just accelerated whilst driving up an incline and I heard it again but not as loud.

Check the parking brake cable. It could be rubbing in the prop. Common on 203's

Help

Hi markjay I have c200 CDI w203 (2006) auto. I trace the sound and as you said coming from under gear selector. Also seems like it gets louder when steering to right. Do you know how to fix what needs to done? Please help any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Read my post.

BlackC55 said:
Read my post.

I did and I really thought you been silly as the sound was like two moving part rubbing each other. My big is worry was location of sound as it was coming under gear stick. After reading your post I decide to have a little look after all I had nothing to loose by just checking. I'm glad I did you were right, blue plastic clip holds the parking break cable in place was brooking, for now I use a cable tie to keep it in place but I will buy original clip to replace cable tie next time I go to Mercedes garage.
I thank you for your help and I thank you for taking time to replying my post.
Regards
Madturk

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom