W203 Comand - is it me, or is it a bit crap ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Muppetz

Car
2015 E350 AMG Night Premium in Black
I don't know if I'm using the Comand Nav wrong, but it is really beginning to annoy me now as it has sent me to the wrong place a few times...

I enter the postcode of where I want to go, then confirm the town/city that it comes up with, and then enter the road name. Then off I go.....

However, it very often at that point completely ignores the postcode I entered and sends me to the same road name in the town/city, end result being that I end up the wrong end of say a 5mile road and I may as well have not bothered entering the damn postcode in the first place !!

My previous car, an Audi, would let you put in the postcode and then would only allow you to search for the roads within that postcode - which is how it should be...

Am I doing something daft here, or is this just how the Comand works ??

I don't know if I'm using the Comand Nav wrong, but it is really beginning to annoy me now as it has sent me to the wrong place a few times...

I enter the postcode of where I want to go, then confirm the town/city that it comes up with, and then enter the road name. Then off I go.....

However, it very often at that point completely ignores the postcode I entered and sends me to the same road name in the town/city, end result being that I end up the wrong end of say a 5mile road and I may as well have not bothered entering the damn postcode in the first place !!

My previous car, an Audi, would let you put in the postcode and then would only allow you to search for the roads within that postcode - which is how it should be...

Am I doing something daft here, or is this just how the Comand works ??

Postcode entry on Comand 2 only uses the first 5 characters so the best level you can get down to is street level. You can input a house number in most instances. this will take you closer to your destination. The lack of full 7 digit postcode entry is one limitation with Comand.

I have a comand fitted in a 2003 W203.

It is possible to input a house number on comand 2, within a range of Numbers...example 1-21...which will bring you within a few metres of your final destination.

I find my comand to be very accurate and would not be without:bannana:

Joe

I find it frequently doesn't seem to have the road in its database, although it is there on the map. So if I'm going somewhere for the first time, I use Multimap (full post code works fine, of course) to find the more major roads in the area I'm going to, then have to use COMAND's Map to locate the same place, then store the location in memory, then switch to Nav and select the stored location.

Easy peasy! :crazy:

In all of the lanes around me they are mostly house names, so no SAT NAV works well.

I may not have explained myself well....

Lets say I want to go to Deansgate in Manchester, I have no house number (perhaps it is an office building such as "Manc House") but I do have a postcode...

Deansgate is maybe 5 miles long, BUT the part of Deansgate which is within the postcode (even the first 4/5 digits) is maybe only 200 yards long.

What I find is that I may as well have not bothered with the postcode, as after the postcode it asks me to confirm the city (Manchester) and then completely ignores the postcode which I had put in by offering me every street withing Manchester...

OR am I using it wrong ?

My COMAND is very accurate! Delivers me to within meters of the required postcode/house number.

this happens with my tom-tom somtimes ....looking for a building not a house no .......but it always gets me to the right post code .....manchester postcodes are hard to locate somtimes as they run at the rear of long of big buildings you could end up going round in circles what with one way and tram lanes bus lanes.....and a lot of street names are repeated .... so it may have a glitch somwhere :D to test it put in a address with post code and no then try post cod only with street one you know ....and see where it starts to go wrong

I may not have explained myself well....

Lets say I want to go to Deansgate in Manchester, I have no house number (perhaps it is an office building such as "Manc House") but I do have a postcode...

Deansgate is maybe 5 miles long, BUT the part of Deansgate which is within the postcode (even the first 4/5 digits) is maybe only 200 yards long.

What I find is that I may as well have not bothered with the postcode, as after the postcode it asks me to confirm the city (Manchester) and then completely ignores the postcode which I had put in by offering me every street withing Manchester...

OR am I using it wrong ?

If you don't have the building number I have found it will deliver you to the nearest entry point of a street, regardless of whether that is within the postcode you entered. If you don't have a house number then it does offer you the option of inputting a junction, which is usually what I do.

mm, i'll have a play with entering junctions - thanks for the tips

I've got a COMAND in my '02 W209 CLK. I've not found a way to enter postcodes, which is often a bit of a pain.
Am I missing something, or does this model COMAND not support postcodes? (don't recall the exact model # right now, unfortunately).

I've got a COMAND in my '02 W209 CLK. I've not found a way to enter postcodes, which is often a bit of a pain.
Am I missing something, or does this model COMAND not support postcodes? (don't recall the exact model # right now, unfortunately).

I have a COMAND 2.5 in my S-class, you enter the postcode when you select the city. Just type the first part of the postcode. Always works a charm for me.

What disk do you have?

I have a COMAND 2.5 in my S-class, you enter the postcode when you select the city. Just type the first part of the postcode. Always works a charm for me.

Sometimes I think that I must be a bit dumb, I have never tried using post codes, after reading this, I went down too try it on my 2.5 and it works.

I could kiss you, but owing to the fact that you made it quite clear on another thread your sexual orientation I will just say thanks a million. :D:D

I could kiss you, but owing to the fact that you made it quite clear on another thread your sexual orientation I will just say thanks a million. :D:D

:D :D

I think kissing would go a bit far and my better half would be quite upset about it :devil: :D.

Glad to have been of help! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom