W203 coupe c180 auto (non komp) rough idle when selecting D or R

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

christophe88

Car
Merc c180 sports coupe
Hi guys,

First time posting here but will share my (little) knowledge where I can for issues people are experiencing.

SO......
Initially the code thrown up was reading a fault in the MAF sensor. So 80 odd quid later, new one goes in and doesn't solve the problem. Turned out to be the fuel pump. The old one was reading on 25 psi on a cold start then die of death when up to temperature. Now running a sweet 60-ish psi.

Similar problem arose today, driving up a steep hill at a steady 40ish, got to the top and "kerdunk" she konked out and the dash lit up like blackpool beach. Wouldn't start, eventually after putting into park, turn off then on she fired up!
With this awful idle, hunting between 350 and 1000rpm. Dash flashed up with BATTERY/ALTERNATOR issue visit workshop. The engine management light is also on now permanently.

After a good 2-3 minutes it settled down. Didn't like the throttle being touched for a bit similar to the fuel pump issue. Managed to nurse it gently back to the garage using the winter mode on the box. (knowing it pulls away in 2nd thought would be less strain on the engine) Abandoned it there for the night as they're shut.

Just wondering if anybody's had a similar problem as some threads are a bit vague.

Parts fitted recently:
Fuel pump
MAF sensor
Full service
Discs pads all round
Timing belt

Any help would be great, cheers:thumb:

""""NEW UPDATE""""

Mechanics computer has flagged up a few codes

P200B Bank 2/5 hot film mass air flow sensor

P201D Mixture format self adaptation (fuel trim)

P2031 Oxygen sensor upstream three way cat converter

P203B G3/1 oxygen snesor downstream three way cat converter

Genuinely stuck on this one, as is the mechanic. Any help would be so appreciated.
Thanks

Check and clean the throttle body, might sort her out... Worked for me some time on a 111 kompressor having replaced the air mass and dint have a change... Cheers

Another update, suspicions have lead me to the crank position sensor as it is plastered in oil. The wirings harness around it is too covered. So I think this may be the culprit. Just a matter of finding how far the oil has travelled:fail

Did you use a Bosch or MB MAF sensor? For the M111 engine and others of the same era, it's good practice to use either Bosch or MB parts for air flow sensors, plug leads coil packs etc... Other aftermarket MAF brands besides Bosch may cause symptoms to worsen as has been mentioned on this forum previously. It may be a good idea to clear codes and see if they get logged again?

It was only a ecp mass airflow fitted.
After changing the crank position sensor and cleaning all the connections around it from oil and goodness knows what else.... she still runs like a dog. Some times ticks over fine but most of the time fluctuating revs.

Lost my patience now so think its time to get shot. Just deciding whether to strip it down or flog it on quick. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom