W203 coupe illumination and audio aux.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
GLK, thank you very much for your time and all the information you have composed. It is helpful and gives me an idea of the work involved. I looked at the car door just now and I cant seem to find any opening either on the door or door clad. Ofcourse this is just me looking and not taking it off. While I enjoy a bit of diy every now and then, I think I’ll leave this to the professionals whom have the right tools and would know what wire connects where. I feel if I attempt this install, the end result would be costlier than expected . I am already in touch with command for my audio system and have an appointment on Monday. I’ll ask if they can also fit in the door sills and ghost lights. Once I have those done, I’m looking to convert the headlights to hid. Please what’s your opinion on this :MTEC HID SPECIAL KIT FOR MERCEDES W203 C CLASS '01~'07. No Error Message. | eBay
It’s a bit pricey and coming from the USA but it seems the real deal as opposed to the cheaper ones I’ve seen and for my model. Changing to factory xenon doesn’t seem cheap at all. Maybe looking at salvage yard/ breakers and I could by them outright for a decent price as opposed to converting. I’m just getting a feel as I truly want white lights.

Just because the kits say they are"Special" and have no error messages does not mean that they are road legal in the UK.

As has been pointed out you need headlight washers and self levelling on discharge bulb headlights to conform to the Construction and Use regulations plus the headlight assembly internals are different for HID bulbs as opposed to a Halogen bulb so the beam pattern will not be correct.2

If still in doubt see here for the definitive answer from the Department of Transport: Aftermarket HID headlamps

The important section is in part 3

"Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary: it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above."

Last edited:
This is Erisin ES6982B, model-specific (169/245/639) so no adapters, frames, etc.
It has now been superseded by newer models, with better spec (4GB RAM) and latest Android OS, but this one does everything I want, looks good, runs cool (no moving parts - no DVD drive), and has been entirely trouble-free for a year now.

The trick is to go for a model-specific unit, so if you search for 'W203 Android' you get many to chose from, in different styles (OEM-looking or like mine - large screen).
Make sure you buy from a UK-registered store: I bought mine from "carparts-mall" seller on eBay - they are Erisin's own outlet, with UK warranty, returns and VAT number.

Thank You GLK.
Excellent answer.

Reactions: GLK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom