W203 Coupe Parking Brake light not going out ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickybow

Hi,

My excellently maintained 2003 W203 C220 CDI Coupe Manual refuses to extinguish the handbrake engaged warning light.

Can someone please advise on how to resolve this?

The handbrake clearly engages but the car is impossible to drive with the warnings !

Thanks!

I have tried readjusting the bolt on the handbrake mechanism to no avail and have now left it to where I found it.

It seems that if you lift the peddle slightly the light extinguishes, in fact it seems that the weight of the peddle itself is whats keeping the light on ??

Edit: Return spring on the pedal ?

(PS. Parking brake requires 6 clicks.)

Last edited:
I am not a tech but seeing as it is Saturday and some of the techs on here might not be available as they are with families e.t.c. I will tell you all I know about footbrake adjustment in a W203 Saloon,(not sure about coupe) which is that adjustment takes place by accessing part of the cable/mechanism by removing rear seat base, then removing a cover located under the seat base in order to gain access to the handbrake adjusting mechanism.

As I say, I am not a tech, I am only really getting involved as it seems you may want to drive it tonight..

HTH
:thumb:

Cheers mate, but I've already tried to readjust the mechanism under the seats already.

I've searched through previous posts on here and on Google, but I'm still none the wiser.

Thanks for trying!

Hi, sorry I could not help fella, just that I had exactly the same thing happen when I was driving the C320 during January this year, ( in terms of Brake failure/numerous other warnings) I just pushed the brake pedal down again to engage and pulled the lever out to disengage and it was fine, but did have it happen a couple of times afterwards, just recently had it adjusted and it is a great deal better/more efficient in terms of engagement/disengagement now.

Could it be a faulty ratchet mechanism or even the handbrake engagement microswitch is faulty??

Hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:
Had this myself twice the little plastic ratchet on the pedal snaps and stops the pedal returning properly. The ratchet doesn't do anything except make the clicking noise. Take it of and see if it helps a new one with the pin is a couple of quid

Adjust them at the shoes first then the cable. Use plenty of lube in the mechanism under the seatIP0

Hello,

I had the the same issue and did as BlackC55 said, it is now fine. Cheers BlackC55.
I have attached a couple a pictures to help people with a similar issue and would like to fix it themself, it is dead easy.

Back Sits.jpg
Inspection Hatch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom