W203 Cruise control problem - any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quasarman

Car
C320 Avantgarde SE Estate
Hello all

The cruise control on my C320 died today! One minute it was working fine then I switched it off to slow for traffic but when I tried to resume nothing happened!!! Now no matter what I do I can't get it back on. Doesn't matter what speed I try at and just to add to my confusion the light for the speed limiter does come on (though I couldn't try this as it's currently set at 150mph!).

Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone help?

Same happens to my car. I press it, take foot off pedal nothing. Speed limiter light comes on, I can adjust the speed and everything. Is it meant to work like that, where I just leave foot on pedal and it sticks to speed?

You should be able to completely remove your foot from the pedal, just like I could this morning, and the car do the rest - speed up slow down. I think you're using the limiter which is meant for setting a maximum if you use winter tyres etc, ie even if you floor it the car won't go above the speed you set via the dash whilst stationary. The cruise control can be set to any speed and you should be able to speed up and slow down using the stalk alone.

Hmm weird? So I can get the limiter to work. How do I activate the cruise control? Sorry, it's just I've never really used it. So mine could be working, but not sure?

Cruise Control

Hi, if you press it in again so the light goes off, then tap it up to adjust then release your foot. You should now be working.

Push up to set speed or hold up to accelerate, down to slow down, push (or touch brake pedal) forward to switch off and finally pull to you to resume your previous speed.

None of which currently works on mine!!

Same happens to my car. I press it, take foot off pedal nothing. Speed limiter light comes on, I can adjust the speed and everything. Is it meant to work like that, where I just leave foot on pedal and it sticks to speed?
Pressing it engages limit mode - the speed you can see/adjust is the limit speed (set in a similar way to cruise, but up = +5mph, down = -5mph, push disengage and pull +1 mph). So press again to disengage limit mode - then operate as quasarman says.

Quasarman - is the limit light on all the time? Sounds like you have engaged limit mode, or have a broken stalk so it's putting it into limit mode of it's own accord.

Cheers Steve but no I can switch the limit light on or off at will, it's all the other functions that don't work. I'll try the limiter out today...

Having now found the fuse box diagram I am now even more confused as I can't see any listing for a fuse for cruise control, speedtronic or anything else that sounds like what I'm looking for!!!!!!!!!

Does the cruise control have a fuse? If so could anyone PLEASE tell me which one?

The cruise control is part of the ECU rather than a separate device. One thing you could try is the brake light switch. They are notoriously fickle and can stop the CC dead in its tracks.

Cheers stratman, that sounds like it could be a cheap fix, don't suppose you could point me in the area of where to aim my hammer?

Top of brake pedal twist to remove about £10 from dealer.

Lynall

Top of brake pedal twist to remove about £10 from dealer.

Lynall

Was the model year mentioned? The brake pedal switch might not appear at the top of the brake pedal but at the booster instead (combined travel sensor).

Now I can't find the brake switch!!! Well at least I can't see it from the footwell that is...is the switch accessed from the footwell or from under the hood? Anyone got any pics?

Thanks for that (although I have just worked out there is no switch on the pedal the hard way!)

Do you know if this is a likely cause of cruise non operation?
Also I am aware there has been a TSB issued regarding cruise control fault, does anyone have a copy/link I could see?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom