w203 Deisel pump issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hollyhocks

Can anyone help a maiden in distress? I have been having a problem with my dear Milly (mercedes c220 cdi). She has been starting on the turn of the key, running briefly then stalling. When I turn her over again it takes ages to start again. This morning was very cold and I started her and had same issue. She started again and was running for 5 mins to warm her. I drove 1/2 mile and she suddenly cut out on me and refused to start at all. I was low on diesel but gauge still showing needle above reserve light. She turns over fine. Had to get her recovered home. I thought might be air in fuel line so tightened the three jubilee clips in the fuel line a week ago but made no difference. Any suggestions warmly welcomed!:wallbash:

It is very likely you have air in the fuel system or a pump issue or both. I would not rule out an injector fault either.

It is the clear pipes that normally leak air in too.

It needs to be checked on a diag machine to see if the cause of cutting out is fuel pressure related.

Thank you for that. Trying to find someone recommended in the Tonbridge Kent area. Local dealer is a nightmare. Please can you tell me where the diesel pump is located?

Sorry can't help with the Tonbridge area, but is the anatomy of your engine is the same as mine then the pump is top dead centre on the front of the engine. the clear pipes that Olly refers to, again on my engine, are covered in a black plastic reinforcing material. The pipes embrittle with age (you have not said how old the car is) and if they have I would recommend that you replace the lot and the fuel filter in one go. If this gets it going then get it on STAR to check the injectors. Good luck

Mb tech here. Several things cause this issue and I think u may have 2 faults. Possibilities are blocked fuel filter causing poor fuel return so fuel not swoped over in the tank causing you to run out as right side of tank will be dry with the left still containing fuel. Air in lines due to squaring of the o rings. Or injectors are spilling back to much causing the hard start. You need a good tech who is very familiar with this system.

Redoak garage in Maidstone have access to star and all the expertise to diagnose its the closest decent indy to Tonbridge I think.

Best thing to do is half fill the tank and run it for a while, if same problems, replace the filter, could possibly have some crap from the bottom of the tank in the fuel line somewhere. Had a similair problem with a Volvo one time, turned out the fuel pump relay was faulty and that had occured from running the tank low (somehow) as it ran out of fuel parked on a gradient. Sometimes it would give power to the fuel pump for a minute or so, other times it would prime itself then do nothing. Had to bridge the relay so the pump ran constantly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom